When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocket Ray

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Barto

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Rocket Ray just cuz I like em.... Now I'm thinking of getting it a new lens and mounting it on something. I have a 36ish Hawthorne boys, a 41 Columbia Girls, a 47 Columbia boys a 59 Columbia Girls and a mid 50 (just guessing) Rollfast boys.

Not sure of the era...Can someone tell me when Rocket Rays 1st came out?

BART

To my knowledge the Rocket Ray came out post war, likely early 1950s. In my opinion it would be most at home on your mid 50s boys Rollfast.
Fender lights in the prewar era were mainly 'cigar' lights.. those long, rocket looking lights, but the bulbous, fat lights were all mainly post war, and usually the 1950s.

Baloonatic and Freqman, thanks for the info...love these lights, I think this Rocket Ray will be living on my Rollfast as soon as I can get a new lense I have a Winner, would that be era correct for my daughter's 59 Columbia?

Baloonatic and Freqman, thanks for the info...love these lights, I think this Rocket Ray will be living on my Rollfast as soon as I can get a new lense I have a Winner, would that be era correct for my daughter's 59 Columbia?

Headlights are one of my favorite features of vintage bikes... I had a 26" Rollfast Hopalong Cassidy bike that came stock with a Rocket Ray, it even had the studs from the fenders on the top of the light. It's likely your Rollfast came with a Rocket Ray originally if it had a headlight.

The Winner, as far as I know, was later 50s so indeed would be at home on your daughter's Columbia. I don't know what bikes the winner came stock on if any, but I often see it in catalogs sold as an accessory added to bikes, they often came with a handlebar mount. I have seen them mounted to fenders on lower dollar Schwinns in the later 50s as well.

Columbias often have their own style headlight, so if you're intent on correctness you may want to do some research to get the correct Columbia light... but if you're just adding a light to a rider and you're not so concerned about what's absolutely correct and what's not, the Winner is a nice choice for your daughter's bike.

hopalong_bike (1).jpg

smooth top winner lights go all the way back to 1939 and up to 1955 , the deluxe winner and super rocket ray came out in 1954, standard rocket ray 1949 i think for the panther / hornet

1952-schwinn-hornet-detail.jpg

Last edited:
Back