When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod brake help needed...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm restoring a '38 Raleigh X Frame...and I've finally gotten around to paying attention to the brakes. This front stirrup has me stumped. I of course, fool that I am, didn't take pictures of this before disassembly - and now I'm paying the price. I can't figure out how/why this stirrup lacks guide pins, or what parts I'm lacking. Please disregard the new, bolted-on rod attached to it. Does this stirrup look right? How in the world is it held in place w/o guide pins? I've searched the internet for a picture that might tell me all. No luck. Does anyone have a picture of exactly what this does/should look like in place? If this is an all-wrong stirrup - does anyone have a correct one for sale? Thanks in advance.

It looks to be missing the sheet metal guide pieces that connect the stirrup to the guide clamps. The piece has an eye at one end to mount to the brake pad stud, and a peg at the back end to run in the guide clamp hook. The design was later revised to have the pegs at the ends of the stirrup arms, eliminating the connecting piece running from the brake pad stud back to the guides.

It looks to be missing the sheet metal guide pieces that connect the stirrup to the guide clamps. The piece has an eye at one end to mount to the brake pad stud, and a peg at the back end to run in the guide clamp hook. The design was later revised to have the pegs at the ends of the stirrup arms, eliminating the connecting piece running from the brake pad stud back to the guides.
You just explained these two mystery pieces (and solved my problem)! One end swivels on a lug inside the fork...the other fits over the brake pad post. Only have one spring - and that's only 80% there. Hopefully, it's not too, too necessary. BUT. Thank you so very much. I would have never figured this out.

Yeah, those are what you want. I guess you have the version where the fork has the stud rather than a clamp-on attachment (there are couple versions, but same basic principle). The eyelets can wear and open up with a great deal of use, making the fit a bit loose. But if you're good with sheet metal you may actually be able to make your own that are a little tighter, if need be.

I'm restoring a '38 Raleigh X Frame...and I've finally gotten around to paying attention to the brakes. This front stirrup has me stumped. I of course, fool that I am, didn't take pictures of this before disassembly - and now I'm paying the price. I can't figure out how/why this stirrup lacks guide pins, or what parts I'm lacking. Please disregard the new, bolted-on rod attached to it. Does this stirrup look right? How in the world is it held in place w/o guide pins? I've searched the internet for a picture that might tell me all. No luck. Does anyone have a picture of exactly what this does/should look like in place? If this is an all-wrong stirrup - does anyone have a correct one for sale? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 1686509
Hi,
Great pictures of similar year original survivor Raleigh x-frame bikes and original advertising can be found at the UK webiste called The Online Bicycle Museum. Click on this link below for search results of Raleight X Frame...
Cheers!
Gregory

Back