When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod brake pad source

-

bikecrazy

I live for the CABE
Looking to replace the brake pads on my rod brake equipped English build lightweight. This is a late thirtys something bike that was branded as an Elgin and sold through Sears locations. It has an early Sturmey Archer AW hub with patent applied for stamped where the date of the hub is usually located. Anyone know where to get the pads reasonably. Thanks

Kool Stop makes inserts for some of the original metal holders. I'd also look at Fibrax Science line of pads, which are nice because they have long mounting bolts so you can use spacers to center them. I usually get them from eBay. US-based stores sometimes have the Kool Stops, and the Fibrax usually have to come from Britain.

Yellow Jersey bike shop in Wisconsin, and Rat City Bikes in Oregon may have some pads as well, but you'd have to check with them.

From bitter personal experience, do NOT get the grey rubber pads from Asia. Not a effective compound, and the pad holders are criminally flimsy.

In my piles of parts I have a bag of pads that I believe might be replacements for what you need. These are just the rubber parts, no holders. I will dig them out and post a photo.

Here it is

A173D055-2A2A-4C4F-8EC9-02E7099251BF.jpeg

These are the pads I have. They are 2 7/8 inches long, the width of the braking surface is 1/2 inch and the width where it goes in the holder is about 5/16 inch. I don't know if they are for rod brakes, there is nothing on the bag.

Back