When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod brake rim vs non-rod brake rim??

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can someone tell me if a rim designated for a rod brake will work on a non-rod brake bike? I'm trying to replace the rims on a '36 Adler - and 26" Westwood rims appear to have the profile that matches. Seems like the answer should be, "Yes". The Adler bike I have, has a paddle brake up front; a coaster brake in the rear. And, while I'm here...anyone have a source for 26" Westwood rims in a size that will ultimately give me a tire size of 26 X 1.75...in either aluminum or plain steel (NOT chrome)? My internet searches aren't going that well. Thanks!

Well you could roll with it but stopping might be a problem. You might wish to have a back-up front caliper brake for safety reasons and the rod-brake style rims have a narrow sidewall that isn't right for a caliper brake.

If your looking for a different wheel set check CL or such for an inexpensive ladies bike that has the wheels you want. That's probably the cheapest source.

Okay, so if you are using the paddle brake you might be alright. Just thinking if you went to a caliper brake

The Germans had a particular attachment to the old-style shoe brake/spoon brake/duck brake that pressed against the top of the front tire. This sometimes took the form of a resistance roller and sometimes of a plain, fixed shoe and friction with the tire surface. So long as it's a tire contact brake, I don't see an issue with a Westwood rim. The Westwood's main problem is the lack of a rim side for calipers, but that should not be an issue here. Today, most of the rims are either chrome or aluminum. The chrome ones are generally made in India or China, and are pretty thin metal compared to the original British ones. The aluminum ones are a little better made, and of course lighter. But I don't know of any Westwood rims made in that particular size today. Some of the old delivery cycles in Britain may have had that size(?). 28 x 1 1/2 and 26 x 1 1/2 were far more common than 1.75 in terms of British Westwood rim production. You may want to also consider something like a painted Schwinn S7 rim, if the colors will work together.

Without buying new and shipping from Europe you can haunt craigslist for a German donor bike- check near former Air Force bases because apparently the USAF had a huge allowance for personal effects, and bulky items like Kamado barbecues from Japan and bikes from Europe would make it over here. British Sports Roadsters would have 26" Westwood rims, but usually in chrome- find a rusty one, or I have heard a chrome shop will strip chrome for you. I have not done this. Another possibility is some 1950's/1960's middleweight rims that were obviously not set up for rim brakes and that could look the part. Here is one on a Spaceliner on eBay that could work:
Spaceliner rims.jpg

Yeah...I have a Spaceliner up for sale. I could eyeball it very easily. But it's in the no-no chrome. BTW - I have the 3 Gang 90% solved as of 30 minutes ago.

Back