When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rod brakes... the mystery unravelled!!!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

danny7147

Finally riding a big boys bike
Okay, opinions needed :)

I've spent a LONG time tonight writing out a guide to rod brakes. When I started out in this hobby I couldn't find information anywhere, so I wanted to produce a guide on my site. Can you please check it out with suggestions/comments, what needs to be improved or if it's perfect?

http://www.bikestothefuture.com/brakes.php

HUGE thanks! :)

thanks Danny,I'm sure this will help many of us that fight with this type of braking system.Nice job explaining the different systems.

That's great information and pictures. I wish I could have found a Raleigh with rod-pull brakes instead of the Raleigh Sports I ended up with. I wonder if rod brakes could be retro-fitted onto a later modle Raleigh Sports.

Brakes....pish posh....a radio is most effective in drowning out the screams.

Kudos on sharing your wealth of knowledge!

Up/down... Grading

I'm pleased it's useful! In terms of changing from cable to rod, sure, it's possible, but the costs would put me off. I've got a supplier that I'll be using soon to get brand new complete sets that will be FAR cheaper than what's available at the moment, but until then you'd be looking at around $45 for a brake set, if you chose Raleigh which seem to be cheaper the handlebars would be about the same again. Then you'd need westwood rim wheels, usually around $160 a pair new. Fitting could cause a problem in that you'd need to drill a hole in the downtube for it to pivot on, so a lot of work, a lot of money, and a devalued bike. I'd be more inclined to find a complete rod brake bike as even from the UK you could probably get most makes, including shipping to America, for about $220 and it would save a lot of headaches :)

fyi there are clamp on brackets out there for retrofitting rod brakes to non rod bike

not sure who makes them but almost bought for project i have
dig deeper!

oh and they stillmake rod brake bikes all over the world so parts are available

Last edited:
I've spent a LONG time tonight writing out a guide to rod brakes.

It shows ... it takes a lot of time and effort to be this concise.

HUGE thanks

... are due to you for the community service, mate!

5J041.jpg

Back