When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rollfast 28'' rim?

-

Flathead31Coupe

Look Ma, No Hands!
can someone explain the rims i have they are metal rims with a wood core....strange to me...are considered wood wheels of something different?

better pic to come

WP_20191223_21_52_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20191223_21_53_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20191223_21_52_49_Pro.jpg

I feel like we need a pinned post for this topic [emoji41]

If you have interest, check out some of my past for sale posts for 28” faux wood clinchers. I tried to explain sizing, etc from time to time because it does get confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like what they said above, they are called metal clad rims. They were the most common type of bicycle rim in the US from the teens to the early 30s.

They used "single tube" tires which are kind od like a combination of an inner tube and tire in one piece. New tires are not made, but there are some new tires that look the part but do not inflate and are heavy, good for display and short rides. The 28" tire size is the same as modern 700C sew up tires.

You can also build new wheels with 700C clincher rims.

The main questions that should influence what to do with your bike are: Are you going to ride it a lot or maybe just short distances like in a parade? Do you want it to be as original as possible?

Back