When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rollfast And Hawthorne Balloon Tank Bikes

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Picked up these two from the Royal Oak MI swap today, both from the same seller. He thought the Hawthorne was around a 1941, and he thought the Rollfast was prewar also, but I think its post war as it has forward facing dropouts (thinking mid to late 40's but not sure) Would appreciate if anyone can help with the years these were built. The Rollfast has 291316 stamped on the seat tube, not sure if its the serial or model number. I haven't had a chance to look for any other numbers yet. I know the rear reflector on the Rollfast is upside down, I'll be fixing that.
Here is the Rollfast:
rf5 (1024x576).jpg
rf4 (576x1024).jpg
rf2 (576x1024).jpg
rf3 (576x1024).jpg
rf7 (576x1024).jpg
rf6 (1024x576).jpg
rf1 (576x1024).jpg

Here's the Hawthorne
h3 (1024x576).jpg

h6 (1024x576).jpg

h5 (506x900).jpg
h2 (1024x576).jpg
h1 (1024x576).jpg
h4 (1024x576).jpg

Congrats on the 2 bikes. I was looking at the Rollfast as well. I'm not sure, but they both may be postwar. My 54 Huffy has the same style dropouts as the Hawthorne. Like I said though, not sure.

The Hawthorne is definitely 1940-41 era. I'm leaning mostly toward 1941 from what I see in the catalog. According to my catalog it appears Hawthorne after the war began using a single larger spring on the fork rather than the smaller dual springs your bike has so definitely pre-war.

I can't be of much help on the Rollfast however noticed that I have the exact same handle bar neck still new in the box. Says "Rollfast rustless aluminum with steel built in handlebar clamp slip-proof" Once someone identifies the year of your Rollfast I'll know the year of the handle bar neck.

Super nice finds, guess you brought your checkbook to the swap! I have a Rollfast, it's my fav and main rider, love the badge and overall look of the bike. Over the summer I bought a late 30's Hawthorne fastback, course you just can't beat that look!...the only reason I would part with the Hawthorne would be to buy a Colson fastback with Tank, Turkey Wing chain guard and Rack......

I agree, The fork is a dead give-away onthe Hawthorne being postwar.
Jkent

I personally have a tough time believing the Hawthorne is post-war. I don't consider myself an expert on Hawthorne but I did own a 1941 Western Flyer built by Cleveland Welding and this Hawthorne has all the same characteristics; gracefully curved rear seat and chain stays as well as fender braces, the winged chain guard, gill tank, luggage rack, etc. Looking through the 1940-41 Hawthorne catalogs these characteristics seem prevalent for those pre-war years. Post-war Hawthorne catalog photos show none of these characteristics. Frame, fender braces are straight, tanks, chain guards, luggage rack, even name plate all look nothing like the Hawthorne in the above photo. If someone has a post-war Hawthorne catalog showing the bike above I would be truly surprised.

Back