When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rollfast. What year is it?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TonyD

Finally riding a big boys bike
In Memoriam
I’m looking for any info on this bike. I’ve had it for years and I was told it was 1917 Rollfast. It is a 28” frame and fork. I appreciate your help with this.
20e570625044381a278633a1a58e39a5.jpg

6903953e9b38ee7f7e5ed2ef97cb6bd7.jpg

b58c036a7c955eb9affefdb8f40099cd.jpg

1b241aa90589f57808976f139d268245.jpg

9afec3aebdf86989c05fc18616a15efb.jpg

16229b75c027073a23bdcbe42adb302c.jpg

a99a1c701e0b7b4675f5864d91ff228a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front and rear forks look wide; truss tube looks fairly low. Maybe about 1934?

They sometimes came with offset spacers for the rear fender.

Serial number; maybe an "A" begins in 1931, or so?

Last edited:

I’ve never been sure that any of the parts are original or not. They had been together under a couple thick layers of house paint for decades before it came to me. I have greased the bearings and I built the wheels for a different frame set.
I appreciate your help.
Just as a reference point, the tires are 700c x 38. I have all kinds of room on all sides of the tires, front and back.
I tried a set of 26 balloons and it was obvious that they were wrong for the bike.

They sometimes came with offset spacers for the rear fender.

Serial number; maybe an "A" begins in 1931, or so?

I just realized that I didn’t post the picture of the serial number..
Coming right now.!
I have the fenders. Gnarly old rain gutters. Flat braces with eyelets.

Maybe 1933-C. About the time that 26" balloon tires, (and later the super-balloons in 1933), the Snyder, Rollfast and Excelsior folks may have adopted a transitional one-size-fits-all frame design. It likely had some trade-offs, wrt how the bikes appearance seemed to fit either or both sizes of tires. I understand that the fork would merely be swapped 26, 28, as the customer ordered.
I generally associate the early alphabet codes (ABCDE) with Snyder's acquisition of Excelsior, and believe that the later end of the alphabet (WXYZ) indicates products that came from the Little Falls plant.
The badge holes look a bit narrow, and may fit a Montgomery Ward Hawthorne badge, (but the H chain ring sprocket is for DP Harris).

Last edited:
I appreciate the help. I removed the the Rollfast badge to keep it safe since it is in great condition. I did clean a little paint off the edge but they painted around it pretty well.
I’m not sure if it’s the original badge, but it fit well on the holes.
I’m not trying to restore it but I am going to make it beautiful again. I’m really just looking for ideas based on what it used to be. You gave me some things to start with. Thank you.

Back