When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rolls Royce Bicycle - Information needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

Did Rolls Royce make bicycles?

• Yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters
With a fairly extensive knowledge of automotive history, I highly doubt there's a connection. Usually, legit automotive connections come from a company that started building bicycles first and I have never heard of Henry Royce building bicycles before cars (and if he did, it would have to have been sometime in the 1890s, which is before this bike) and it just doesn't fit in the portfolio post 1906. The badge is also completely different.
Thank you - I now know it was more of a reference of quality and not the actual car company. Not sure it worked well for the Crist Co. but at least I have an idea of what the bike is about

Within the US, it appeared to be fair game to use the Rolls name to imply quality without worry of infringing on the trademark. It was very common among merchants (not manufacturers) to use the name.
An example from fly reels I can give is Herters from the '50s used the name and badge on fly reels they imported from Redditch.
I know Hardy Brothers wasn't this generous. I know of two American fly reels from the 20s/30s that copied their best and ended in court, one for a patent infringement, the other for a style trademark infringement (even though the mechanical patent had long expired)
Thanks I am getting a pretty good idea this has nothing to do with the actual Rolls Royce Co. Still like the bike - thanks for the info

Howdy! I really like the bike! Any chance in getting a more clear photo of the badge? Thanks, Barry
Here is what I could do - I get a lot of glare

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

Back