When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rolls Royce Bicycle - Information needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Did Rolls Royce make bicycles?

• Yes

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

CharlesNichols

On Training Wheels
I just purchased a Edward E. Crist Co. "Rolls Royce" Bicycle from an upscale auction house. They indicated the bike was form the 1920 to early 1930s. It is a woman's bike and has the Rolls Royce Badge. I purchased it because it also has the original paint and pin striping. It looks to be all original. I have been trying to find any information, but I am hitting dead ends. I cannot find where Rolls Royce made Bicycles. I was wonder did Crist Co. make the bike. I was hoping someone would have some information.

Thanks for your time Charlie

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2878.JPG

IMG_2879.JPG

IMG_2880.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

Looks late 30s Westfield to me and sold by Crist. The stem is worth more than the whole bike. No sure if there was a legitimate RR connection or not. V/r Shawn

With a fairly extensive knowledge of automotive history, I highly doubt there's a connection. Usually, legit automotive connections come from a company that started building bicycles first and I have never heard of Henry Royce building bicycles before cars (and if he did, it would have to have been sometime in the 1890s, which is before this bike) and it just doesn't fit in the portfolio post 1906. The badge is also completely different.

Blue bird stem very expensive.. $$$$$$ at the rate these bikes are going up I’d place 1k on it

Last edited:
I just purchased a Edward E. Crist Co. "Rolls Royce" Bicycle from an upscale auction house. They indicated the bike was form the 1920 to early 1930s. It is a woman's bike and has the Rolls Royce Badge. I purchased it because it also has the original paint and pin striping. It looks to be all original. I have been trying to find any information, but I am hitting dead ends. I cannot find where Rolls Royce made Bicycles. I was wonder did Crist Co. make the bike. I was hoping someone would have some information.

Thanks for your time Charlie

View attachment 731839

View attachment 731840

View attachment 731841

View attachment 731842

View attachment 731843
Howdy! I really like the bike! Any chance in getting a more clear photo of the badge? Thanks, Barry

With a fairly extensive knowledge of automotive history, I highly doubt there's a connection. Usually, legit automotive connections come from a company that started building bicycles first and I have never heard of Henry Royce building bicycles before cars (and if he did, it would have to have been sometime in the 1890s, which is before this bike) and it just doesn't fit in the portfolio post 1906. The badge is also completely different.
Within the US, it appeared to be fair game to use the Rolls name to imply quality without worry of infringing on the trademark. It was very common among merchants (not manufacturers) to use the name.
An example from fly reels I can give is Herters from the '50s used the name and badge on fly reels they imported from Redditch.
I know Hardy Brothers wasn't this generous. I know of two American fly reels from the 20s/30s that copied their best and ended in court, one for a patent infringement, the other for a style trademark infringement (even though the mechanical patent had long expired)

Last edited:
Don't believe they ever made bicycles. If they did, it certainly wouldn't have been as utilitarian as this example!
They did occasionally allow the use of their brand in conjunction with other manufacturers products, ie. 'Hill Special'-the Rolls Royce of bicycles, and 'Brough Superior'-the Rolls Royce of motorcycles are two examples I can think of.

Singer sewing machines made a model 201-2 which is known as the Rolls Royce of sewing machines. Probably is and was actually the the machine Rolls used for sewing interiors post WW2 into the 1960s. Roger

maxresdefault.jpg

Back