When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Romani pista, 1980ish?

-

dnc1

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
My latest bit of fun arrived from a friend.
It's a 'Romani' pista machine from around 1980ish I'm guessing. What do you guys think?
WP_20181224_14_43_58_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181224_14_44_46_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181224_14_44_30_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181224_14_45_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20181224_14_44_22_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20181224_14_44_05_Pro (2).jpg
WP_20181224_14_45_37_Pro (2).jpg

Perhaps this 'Columbus Aelle' decal may help with dating.....
WP_20181224_14_46_43_Pro (2).jpg

Wheels aren't original, front is a 'Nisi' rim on a 'Zeus' hub with tied spokes.
Rear is two solid aluminium sheet discs bolted to hub with six, countersunk allen-headed bolts each side, and somehow bonded to rim. Any opinions on who made this greatly appreciated.....
WP_20181224_14_43_38_Pro (5).jpg

Lightweight it certainly isn't, but there's one heck of a 'flywheel' effect when it's rolling!
Chainset is 'Spidel' 106 model.
Pedals are branded 'Olimpic' and that is how they've spelt it!
I look forward to anyone's ideas and opinions.
Thanks,
Darren.

------

Thank you for posting this interesting wheel.

The fork blades show stress lines near the top, just below the crown.

Evidently the result of an impact at some point.

If mine, I would wish to withdraw the fork and check it in an alignment guage such as the VAR or Park prior to putting the machine into use. Perhaps a visit to a local framebuilder for an opinion might be in order.

The absence of a washer behind the seat binder nut means the nut has been galling up the binder ear.

Olimpic is a brand of cycle components from Spain. Hubs, pedals and brakes were produced. Quality is decent but perhaps a bit below that of the Zeus Gran Sport and Criterium road ensemble componentry. Some of the products come through marked "Super Olimpic." The firm is a member of that second tier of Iberian component makers which includes names such as AMUAT, ANPI, IRIS, Notario & Triplex. Participated in a discussion regarding a Romani road machine at BF which also showed a mix or parts including some from Spain. Have no experience of the marque so do not have any guesses as to why this might be...

Frame appears built with BOCAMA lug set Professionnelle Luxe. Four stock cutout patterns were offered or manufacturers could special order their own. Possible that if you remove the paint from the front of the headlugs you may discover the BCM marking.

Dropouts appear they may be Zeus nr. 29600.00:

2m5j79u.jpg

Verot launched the model 105 chainsert in 1977 as a successor to the venerable 93. Model 106 launched shortly thereafter but do not know a specific annum for its appearance.

Is saddle pillar a Satri?

-----

Last edited:
Thanks @juvela
The seat post is branded "Selle San Marco"......
WP_20181230_08_49_39_Pro.jpg

The Spanish components stem from the fact that the bicycle has been in Spain for some time, prior to my purchase.
I’ll be having a look at the forks closely when I remove the paint. Someone has already removed most of the paint on the frontal area of the forks, exposing the chrome plating underneath.
Actually the whole frameset seems to be chromed.
I may remove paint on rear wheel centre also, see if I can find any markings .

those rear wheel dish covers may offer some aero edge, but mostly cause the competition to lose concentration
I fear that any marginal gains from that 'aero edge' will be sadly negated by the reality of my sporting physique.....
WP_20180623_09_16_58_Pro.jpg

.....and no, I will not be wearing a 'skinsuit' anytime soon! Lol! I might have to think of 'aero' styling the facial hair though.

-----

Hello Darren,

Looked high and low through three tongues in an effort to identify the machine's bar...without success.

Am assuming an Iberian origin for the item until demonstrated otherwise.

At one time there was a distributor of cycle fittings based in Barcelona called Juan Martinez Santisteban. If we skip the middle name we can arrive at the "SJ"/"JS" monogram.

2ynqg3o.jpg

Most of the products offered in this catalogue of 1955 are unbranded. This was a fairly common practice for mailorder operations BITD. They would seek to create an impression in the reader's mind that everything shown "came from them." It is possible that your bar, likely produced in the 1970's, may represent a private labelling (contract build).

The catalogue contains these pages of bars & stems which have no close-up illustrations nor brand names.

4t6mmw.jpg

Do not wish to assert an identification. Mentioned only as a possibility...

---

Cycle's tubeset -

This page gives specifications and weights for the various sets from A.L. Colombo. Unfortunately, it giveth not launch dates.

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/columbus/columbuschart.htm

There has been more than one Aelle transfer. The type shown on the machine would be a dating aid. Have found sites showing differing Columbus tube transfers but have been unable to locate one which includes pattern launch dates.

-----

Thanks for the info @juvela.
The wording on the other crest is "Alsasua", I have deduced that it is a "Zeus" product, as is the handlebar stem. So your guess at Iberia is correct.

-----

Good to read you have it now well sorted.

Eagle crest motif somewhat similar to one seen on some Sakae Ringyo manillar.

Bird's head is turned in the other direction and plumage differently shown.

34pb86f.jpg

Alsasua is a place name and site of a famous battle in Spanish history -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Alsasua

Alsasua bar worn by a Razesa machine -

35in5n6.jpg

Stem & bar set together -

https://www.milanuncios.com/componentes-recambios-bicicletas/manillar-zeus-alsasua-280905365.htm

Better view of bird crest -

2d7x9bq.jpg

Worn by a Zeus machine built with New Racer road ensemble -

fogb3d.jpg

https://chichonera.blogspot.com/2014/07/zeus-i-la-zeus-llega-casa.html

---

BTW - since you have established stem & bar set to be of Iberian origin have you as yet checked quill to see if it be 22.0 or 22.2? Is stem clamp and bar centre 25.0, 25.4 or is it 26.0?

-----

Last edited:
The Romani in it's current guise.
It was nice to find a full chrome frameset under the paint.
Recent updates include a Look Ergostem which is capable of replicating the position of practically any stem.
Rear lenticular wheel turned out to be an early Mavic 'Challenger' from the mid/late 1980's.....
20200215_172256.jpg

20200215_173253.jpg

Looking forward to riding it outdoors when our weather improves.

Back