When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Royal Enfield Firefly

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PJ311foo

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a soft spot for Raleighs. So searching FB marketplace this morning, I found this Royal Enfield Firefly. It looked great in the pictures, so I drove the hour to go look at it. It’s in fantastic shape! I completely fell in love with it and bought it on sight. But I can’t find too much about it online. Anyone see one, have one, or know about them? Definitely a keeper!

DAAA1B29-85E5-406D-94D4-DC7FF750B831.jpeg

5F7CD01F-B6E8-4C28-93AA-67D5AB32C8FF.jpeg

F7067F58-DFE1-4E8C-804E-B395467C005D.jpeg

That is absolutely beautiful!! I wonder if it's almost the same frame size and dimensions as my '72 BSA which they say is most like the Raleigh Record of the same year. It's probably a shorter wheelbase/frame much like a Raleigh Sports 3 speed. More close-up pictures?

It’s a 22” frame and 27” wheels. It’s in such great shape. I usually strip them down and with extreme OCD clean and polish every part. But this one I like as is and I’m not going to mess with it. Looks great next to all the Raleighs

6ACDBD88-DF72-4B65-93FE-6E2A04630EEB.jpeg

7D496308-846C-4923-8CDB-6218042DD047.jpeg

Beautiful! I believe this one is late 50s / early 60s. According to classic lightweights uk these brakes were first imported to England in 1959. I know huret allvit derailleurs introduced in 1958. Anxious to hear from experts.

**note the rear derailleur shift lever is bent ; the underside shows the plating in this area cracking ; hopefully not be too hard to find replacement with all the huret from this period on Schwinns.

Last edited:
-----

Thanks very much for sharing this fine new arrival. Most handsome! :D

Fittings -

headset is Thomas D. Cross & Sons Ltd. model "S"

pedals appear to be Lyotard model 15S

wheel rims are mis-matched so at least one wheel likely a rebuild or replacement; front rim looks to be a Rigida SUPERCHROMIX

are either of the hubs BH Airlite? Resilion appears to be a possibility for at least one...

the all-metal pulleys on the Huret Allvit rear mech are a helpful dating aid; shortly later they began coming through with plastic "tyres"

the font of the Huret marking on the clamp of the Allvit 600 front gear mech suggests it could not be earlier than 1965

the transfer on the Weinmann brake calipers is one which came into use in 1965 & was only employed for three to four years so it is also a helpful dating aid, the Weinmann brake levers with the red button QR were also only current for a similar brief period

toeclips appear they may be Constrictor model Boa

toestraps look as though they may be a Poutrait-Morin product - AFA / Lapize

propstand appears Shuresta

the cycle's four-wire mattress saddle is the most non-original appearing component

---

from what can be seen it appears we are somewhere in the mid-1960's; presently thinking a 1965-67 time window

---

have you been able to identify the lug pattern employed? looks like it might be something from Haden, but do not recognise a model

---

shall look forward to following along as additional information comes in... ;)

Thanks Again.

-----

Last edited:
I think the Williams crankset can help date

on the backside of the crank arms a letter code denotes year manufactured. In this timeframe it should be a two letter code. Here a decoder:

This crankset for example has an AW code so 1956.

D3B1EE32-1840-4260-A218-7AAE0BF2BAD0.jpeg

3F6823BC-362A-414D-A42D-385B39F24CFB.jpeg

“E W” stands for Edward Williams and “B” for Benson Works. Here is 1922 advert:

Last edited:
-----

Thank you for this post and information @slowride ! ;)

I notice that the chainset on the subject cycle has a permanently fixed (swaged) outer chainwheel so the feature of being able to remove the chainwheel over the pedal is not germaine

Suspect cycle's chainset may be of a different model

It certainly appears too early and well finished to be one of the later Nicklin replica sets so am thinking a different model of Williams...

-----

-----

Thank you for this post and information @slowride ! ;)

I notice that the chainset on the subject cycle has a permanently fixed (swaged) outer chainwheel so the feature of being able to remove the chainwheel over the pedal is not germaine

Suspect cycle's chainset may be of a different model

It certainly appears too early and well finished to be one of the later Nicklin replica sets so am thinking a different model of Williams...

-----
At first I thought a C45D crankset but I realized my mistake and removed this but not until after publishing!
I looked but could not find the model. However I think in a way I found something more interesting. Have a look.

Last edited:
Back