When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Royal Enfield Lightweight - Project "Rebuild for Christmas" - HELP!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
G

graymabel2a

b1b.jpg

b1e.jpg

b1g.jpg

b1m.jpg

b1a.jpg

Good morning - not only am I am newbie to this forum, I am also a complete newbie to bicycle restoration. However, I decided to ignore that fact and buy myself an early 50's (I think) Royal Enfield Lightweight Sports for restoration....why? Quite simply because my fiance and I have agreed not to spend a fortune on each other at Christmas and instead, make/build something for each other. Sweet huh.....or maybe a bit dumb in my case now that I have gone down this route.....

So, I want to restore this beautiful bicycle for her so that she has a lovely little commuter to take her to the shops in the village etc.

First question - can anyone tell me anything about this bicycle and the history of this model?
Secondly - can anyone tell me where (if anywhere) I can get the parts I need - I guess I am going to need a few.
Thirdly - I realise that in some areas I will be able to upgrade certain elements to more modern equivalents - any tips?
Lastly - is there anything I should be worried about in particular?

I would like to keep it original where possible but I am happy to modernise certain areas, such as brakes and tyres etc

Any advice and guidance would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Simon

It looks like it just needs a thorough, proper cleaning and wax on the frame/paint, polish out the chrome, get some new rubber (tires & grips), clean drive chain and re-grease all bearings. Then you just have to worry about garland & getting that Christmas goose lined up for Christmas dinner.

I wouldn't make this into a Herculean effort when there is a deadline such as a holiday that is just around the corner or the fact that the bike is in decent shape as is. It should be a great little commuter when done.

Most of all have fun doing it.

Great advice - thank you - your plan matches mine and I cant wait to get started on it.

The one question I keep asking though, but nobody replies to is.....what year do you think this bike was built? I have heard that it is a Roadster and probably built by raleigh or BSA, but nobody has told me what era. I wondered whether it might be 40's or is that too old?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon

I know how you feel, I have been doing the same and have drawn a blank.

The nearest I can get to is a 1940's Royal Enfield Lightweight Roadster (Ladies) but I could be wrong.

I would love to know, if only to tell my fiance!

Thanks for all your help, genuinely

Simon

Back