When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rudge Whitworth...Not What I Expected...BUT!

-
Correct, that is the mounting bolt for the inside of the chain case. The boss is brazed on to the chain stay and threaded. Raleigh continued to use the chain case boss on the frame even after they converted most of the US bikes to hockey sticks. I usually try to leave them mounted so that dirt does not get into the hole. I would put a little oil or grease on the threads and tighten it into place so that it does not rattle. That way if you ever want to convert to a chain case it will be there.

Last edited:
I found another difference in the two Rudge forks. This one has the "slit" in the top to accommodate the headlight holder to have it sit properly. The one from the ladies (the donor) doesn't, so I can't put the one back that was on it, nor an "R" one I had in my parts bin. 🤨 So much for a light going on.

Another interesting note on the two front fenders...the 1953 one is a little longer! I measured it, and then took a photo. Weird! Cost cutting a bit of metal?? 🤪

Anyway, I've decided to only use the fork from the ladies donor bike. I'll keep everything else as original as possible with the exception of being able to hang the light. Donor fenders are a little nicer, though.

IMG_2465.jpeg

I'm putting the bike back together with its original (but bent) fork until I find one where I don't sacrifice another bike in such good condition (meaning the '63). I'm going to take the time and fix that one all up in the next few weeks. So many projects, lol!! 🤪

OK..I put it back together, with a new neck and the correct lamp holder with the"R" in it. All else are the pieces that came with it when I brought it home.

If anyone is interested in it (and it MUST be picked up), make me an offer just so I know I didn't waste all of those hours cleaning it up. I'd like to see it completed by someone.
I didn't finish the '63 either, but they can both go as a package. Let me know if anyone is interested and PM me. 🙂

Thanks!
Fred

IMG_2601.jpeg

IMG_2602.jpeg

IMG_2603.jpeg

IMG_2604.jpeg

IMG_2606.jpeg

IMG_2607.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

IMG_2609.jpeg

IMG_2610.jpeg

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2615.jpeg

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2617.jpeg

IMG_2618.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2620.jpeg

IMG_2621.jpeg

-----

fine job reforming the mudguards

thar be a career awaiting thee in the auto body trade...

sagacious decision regardin' companion of knife & spoon

-----

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will want to give the two bikes a good home. 😎

The wheel-set alone with the Dyno hub and alloy hub are worth the price on the '53.

Last edited:
Back