When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ruined Crank Arm Binder Bolt Threads

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the freewheeler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello!

I recently picked up a 1944 BSA Airborne that I'm in the process of cleaning up. In the process of cleaning the frame, I attempted to remove the crank arms. The binder bolts were/are stuck on really hard, so I broke out the hammer to tap them out. Little did I know, but the quality of the bolts are cr*p (metal is EXTREMELY soft), so the only result of hitting the bolts was that the end of the bolt flattened, ruining the threads. The only fix for this I know of is to file flat (taper) the beginning threads, but this actually made it WORSE. I've used this same method many times with 100% success, but not this time for whatever reason. To say the least I am very, very p*ssed off now that these are ruined. Does anybody have any recommendation for something to try? I'll be forever indebted...

photos:

IMG_3432.jpg

IMG_3435.jpg

IMG_3468.jpg

Just get some new crank cotters- they are supposed to be soft and replaced each time you take the cranks apart. Local bike shop should have some if they have been around a long time, or check eBay and the web. There are two different sizes, so measure the ones you have.

Last edited:
They can be real nasty to remove. I have had to drill them out before I made that homemade Harbor Freight cotter removal tool posted on this or another site.

I mashed a cotter pin ONCE trying to remove the cotter pin but it was a 1965 Raleigh.

Here's an easy way to do remove pins without mashing them.

Put the hammer away. No more hammers on antique bikes.

http://bikesmithdesign.com sells cotters and pin presses. If you can measure the angle of your pin, they should be able to hook you up with the proper diameter and angle for a new pin.

Last edited:
the most common on older English bikes was 9.5
there are at least 4 different sizes used on 1960's thru 1980's bike. (possibly older too but I've only been in the business since 1971)
9 and 9.5 being the most common.
2 smaller diameters mostly used on Italian bikes.
most bike shops wont even know what they are now adays

Back