When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rules for Deal Or No Deal Auctions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Payment Terms
-
Shipping
-
Zipcode
na
Hummmm.......3 hours is too short and 24 hours too long. A seller lists an item in the morning and takes off for work-not having access to a computer till they get home that evening. A buyer throws a hopeful bid on an item and heads off to work-no access to a computer till they get home. In most cases a 12 hour 'window' would fit just right. And all this can be up to the seller's discretion. We can have tight rules/tightly enforced or loose rules/loosely enforced......discretion here....tight rules/loosely enforced!
Good point. I've decided to just change it to 24hr. That's plenty long enough for someone to respond back, but not so long that a bidder is left wondering what's going on.

Good point. I've decided to just change it to 24hr. That's plenty long enough for someone to respond back, but not so long that a bidder is left wondering what's going on.
Good idea, and if a seller (dealer?) intends to take a weekend off, maybe they could just make a note of it— but that would still not bump the DoND thread to the top.

Got paid already ....

Before I head to the post office....

just want to repeat my thanks above folks who are paying attention to this format , and bearing getting used to it / evolution that comes with doing something new .

In the spirit of offering food for thought , below are some opinions that I came to believe in once upon a time when I had some experience studying and regularly participating in auctions in the non bicycle world.

for what they are worth ..... opinions that may or may not have some relevance :

Principles I found that tend to promote best results for selling by Auction :

- skin in the game : -sellers who are willing to give concession for liquidity / price discovery and getting transaction completed . - Reliable counterparties ( buyers and sellers can be trusted to honor terms of sale follow thru and have a stake in keeping their reputation for credibility: ie good faith actors ) - buyers that commit time to focus because it ends up being beneficial

- predictability / regularity ( when there is a known advertised regular day or hour to channel new offerings, more buyers will show up )
( for example : this could take the form of a side bar / previewed pane )

- time bound : finding a balance between getting long enough participants to see the offering and
Short enough to maintain focus and get transaction done. ( considering time zones and real life practicality : some participate situations related available to time to respond / time to be focused on the auction may be better suited for standard classified format )

-critical mass : speculators and profiteers, even pick off artists if they have money to spend and follow rules , are a plus, not a minus. Any reasonable ( emphasis on reasonable ) is better than none.
Scarce products that are in demand are a plus , as are high velocity items . diversity of participate types / profiles boosts effectiveness for all

- visibility : Pre announce / spot light what’s coming up and when : commit to a time frame , even if that means conditions may be more or less favorable : over time, on average commitment to a time frame enhances price result for repeat sellers.... this can be an advance notice of a future date that auction will go live , or it can be a seller that puts something in the auction venue every week if the year , and sells more overall , even if there are some auctions that go poorly , on average the ones that go well more than compensate , because participants pay attention to his/ her offerings

Maybe some of the themes above might be useful to shape how Dond continues to develop.

For now , I’m just thrilled I got a good price quickly with a trusted member of the cabe!

Moved question to "Forum Issues", but thanks for your thoughts below Lamont.

Last edited:
Boris, I dont think that's an overthink ,

Maybe something like:
all bids are expressed in before shipping terms

ie : " Ill pay $125 + "

and all bids accepted are accepted with a recap read back of the total.

ie " Deal . you owe it. $125 plus the $ 32 shipping = $ 157 total "

absent a convention /or even with , good practice/never hurts to type a few more characters and specify /spell it out /read it back

as an aside
a convention of bidding in preshipping terms and accepting with total with shipping spelled out
seems easy to follow / less room for math errors .... and has the benefit to potentially provide some future flexibility around shipping terms :

lets say if at some point, say a seller wanted to make shipping "$X or actual whichever is less "
instead of fixed dollar amount (presuming this became allowed /not currently) in some cases the difference between shipping coast to coast vs 500 - 750 miles is very substantial , or if turns out its a local pickup bidder is bidding with everyone else might be easier to follow

One other thing to mention, although it should go without saying.
If a seller decides to accept a bid after the timeout period ends, please private message the bidder, that if he is still interested in the item, that his last bid would be accepted.
Most bidders are going to move on to greener pastures once the auction has dried up, and may never go back to see if that item was ever sold or not.
Just saying.
A little common courtesy goes a long way to making a deal, a good deal.

That's what I get for moving my comment to the "Forum Issues". Good move. Thanks!
nothing new and useful ever got wings without guys like Boris contributing to making it better

( I got a1980 shimano disc brake system to prove it.)

Back