Rules For New Collectors

These ads go away when you register for an account!

jimbo53

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jul 17, 2015
Charlotte NC
Surprised no mentioned the gold standard of justification of a guy buying something he knows his wife would not be down with:
"It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission".
BTW, I tried this one: "Our broker suggested a varied portfolio of soon to be investment grade two wheeled non-motorized travel conveyances"
I thought this had success written all over it, but, once again, I was wrong...:oops:

partsguy

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
[Wife]"Is that a new bike?" [ Husband] "what?" [Wife] "Is that a new bike?" [husband] "what, this one?

[Wife] "Yes , that one." [Husband] " No, honey , this one's been in the back there. Hey, How's your mom?.

See, it's easy. #1 LIE #2 Change the subject
That only works until your in-laws pass on.

Reactions: the tinker and None

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
Atascadero, United States
Keep it real!

I thought I was hard to get along with but with all the divorced and single guy's and gal here maybe not so much. One wife 30 plus years. I was born a collector it seems and had the common sense to know when I did get married to keep our money separate and lay the ground rules out on everything so we both knew what to expect. I do my man duties without complaint and urging and the wife does the same. I won't lie about my purchases or anything else for that matter but I found it best to not openly discuss the cost of things or more problematic getting ripped off. Non collectors will never understand the love of objects that collectors have and especially how much they are willing to pay for them. At best they will come to appreciate as the collection grows that there is monetary value there and the general awe inspired by its unusual characteristics provided it's displayed in a professional and organized way. As an observer of failed marriages of which my family has more than its share, there was an obvious lack of "keeping it real" on both sides. In fact the marriages were based on deceptions right from the start.

Reactions: Schwinn499

momo608

I live for the CABE
Dec 25, 2014
Atascadero, United States

interesting!

Object sexuality
or objectophilia is a form of sexuality focused on particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. For some, sexual or even close emotional relationships with humans are incomprehensible. Some object-sexual individuals also often believe in animism, and sense reciprocation based on the belief that objects have souls, intelligence, and feelings, and are able to communicate.

Fltwd57

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jul 27, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
interesting!

Object sexuality
or objectophilia is a form of sexuality focused on particular inanimate objects. Those individuals with this expressed preference may feel strong feelings of attraction, love, and commitment to certain items or structures of their fixation. For some, sexual or even close emotional relationships with humans are incomprehensible. Some object-sexual individuals also often believe in animism, and sense reciprocation based on the belief that objects have souls, intelligence, and feelings, and are able to communicate.

partsguy

Aug 13, 2008
The Land of Oz
interesting!

Object sexuality
"i'm your FRIEND...."
http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/210600/Love-Bug-The-Movie-Clip-I-m-Your-Friend.html

"So there I was on a mountaintop. With swamies, and monks, it was beautiful, Jim."

Reactions: the tinker

Barto

I live for the CABE
Mar 13, 2015
Somers, United States
Trick is to have crap all over and mix it up, then when new goodies arrive, they blend in better.

...also... "I'm holding it for a friend"..... :eek:
Ha, yeah, I tried that one back in High School...only it wasn't a bike I was stretching the truth about - and it was the cops asking and not my wife or Mother - the cop didn't buy it either

Boris

Fat tired old rider
Feb 16, 2008
Portland, OR 97206
interesting!

Object sexuality
We missed you at the last OSA meeting. Sure hope you can make it to the next one.

Reactions: New Mexico Brant

OldsCool

On Training Wheels
Oct 26, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
This post is hilarious. I been thinking of how I’m going to explain to the Mrs.that... No there aren’t more bikes in the garage...??. The garage has just been shrinking since we moved in that’s all.

Reactions: Sven

TieDye

I live for the CABE
Aug 24, 2015
Henderson, MI, United States
My husband and I are in this hobby together. We work as a great team. He does what he's good at, and I do what I am good at. Last week, I learned how to lace and true my own rim. We have fun going to swaps, the bike store, and fun out in our garage as we work on these pieces of history. He got me into this hobby. I also have a large guitar collection. I never have to hide a new guitar from him either. We are a team and that's why we've been married for 38 years. Deb

vincev

Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
On the way home from a bike show let your wife know she doesnt have to order off the $1 menu at Mickey D's.Tell her to go wild and order something expensive PLUS a large fry !

Reactions: Sven and bikemonkey
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture