When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rules For New Collectors

-
I now have two grandsons, which allows me to use another line: "I'm going to fix up that bike for Aaden (or Nix)." Wife sometimes observes that the bike seems big for an 18-month old or a 5-year old, but I point out that they will grow into it. This approach seems to be working so far. Or she may be humoring me.

Ok, here's the situation -

Tomorrow I'm going to an auction and they have two bikes up for sale (didn't have my phone with me so no pics). Sorry. :(

One is a "Free Spirit" from Sears. It has a (sticker) license plate from Illinois on it too.

The other bike is a Raleigh (sadly I dunno what year). It appeared to be all original (though the saddle was covered with a (fake) sheep skin type of cover (ugh!), and I couldn't see the saddle!

Question I have is -

Which bike is more valuable?

If I'm unable to stay, I can leave my bid for it. Also, advice on me figure out with the bid. "Don't go over $ X"

Thank you.

Tomorrow I'm going to an auction and they have two bikes up for sale (didn't have my phone with me so no pics). Sorry. :(

One is a "Free Spirit" from Sears. It has a (sticker) license plate from Illinois on it too.

The other bike is a Raleigh (sadly I dunno what year). It appeared to be all original (though the saddle was covered with a (fake) sheep skin type of cover (ugh!), and I couldn't see the saddle!

Question I have is -

If I'm unable to stay, I can leave my bid for it. Also, advice on me figure out with the bid. "Don't go over $ X"

Thank you.
Ok just because they have bikes doesn’t mean you have to buy anything! The Free Spirit is a worthless POS-I’m being nice. The Raleigh may or may not be worth anything. Don’t buy anything until you do your homework and find something you really like that fits your budget. This way you avoid the dreaded ‘buyers remorse’! V/r Shawn

Question I have is -

Thank you.

Without even looking, I'm going to say that there's PLENTY of better stuff out there!!!!!!! Don't let these bikes make you lose one minute of sleep tonight.

Last edited:
if your significant other hates your hobbies why in the world would you get a legal contract with her that says she gets half your stuff once she gets sick of you??..... in my world only a fool would make a legal contract with anyone who bleeds for 5 days in a row and does not die.

Is there a rule, that if one gets the wrong part by mistake, say a Cleveland part for a Dayton bike (for example), that then one must build up both of those two bikes, (e.g., both a Roadmaster and a Huffy); what if one then acquires a third misfit part?

Is there a rule, that if one gets the wrong part by mistake, say a Cleveland part for a Dayton bike (for example), that then one must build up both of those two bikes, (e.g., both a Roadmaster and a Huffy); what if one then acquires a third misfit part?
Never heard anything like that before. On my first build I bought a few parts that I didn’t end up using, wasted money. Now days I try to be more careful. And of coarse I didn’t tell the wife how much money was lost, not that she cares but I find it best to keep that to myself.

Then you go to the Island Of Misfit Toys.

1541234097891.png

Just before we got married, I discovered that my soon to be wife had over 50 pairs, that's right, FIFTY --50- pairs of shows!!!!!! And for the past 49 years whenever she questions my model train or bike purchases, I always answer, "But you had 50 pair of shoes! Just consider my stuff footwear."

And if that doesn't end the conflict, I'll say, "And what were those shoes worth when they went out of style? I can always sell my bike and train stuff for at least what I paid for them. Your shoes ended up being donated to the Salvation Army."

AFter all this time we now exist in MAD condition, that is, Mutally Assured Destruction. I don't say anything nasty about her purchasing too many handbags, dresses, shoes, etc. that she wears one or two times and then donates to the SA, and she pretends she is interested my latest unneeded hobby purchase.

Moral of the story guys, if she ain't happy you ain't happy so when she grabs the car keys and says, I'm going shopping, I get all warm and fuzzy inside because I know I can buy another bike or model train loco and we'll both be happy at the end of the day.

I've been collecting Schwinn bikes only since then. So much that I've become known as "Schwinn Man" at the auction. My latest addition is a 1969 Schwinn Breeze for just $10. Just needs some cleaning and chain oil and it'll be ready to go.

Back