When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust cleanup on frame....

-

TimothyNelson

Finally riding a big boys bike
What's the best way to clean up this light rust color on my '73 Kool Lemon Speedster? Thanks!!!!

IMG_20220613_224534184.jpg

-ycezkv.jpg

If I Google Bar Keepers Friend, there are about a dozen different types, powder, cream, liquid, foam,
Anyone know what works best on a lightly rusty bike ? Thanks.

I'd take WD-40 and some 0000 (the fine type) steel wool and gently clean the rusty spots, followed by a good automotive polish overall on the frame. Frame graphics should be avoided if possible so as not to damage them with the wool or polish. I don't think there's enough frame rust to warrant the time and effort of an oxalic acid bath on the whole frame and fork. It looks to be in pretty good shape overall.

If I Google Bar Keepers Friend, there are about a dozen different types, powder, cream, liquid, foam,
Anyone know what works best on a lightly rusty bike ? Thanks.

I prefer the powder and a wet gray scotch brite.

This is the liquid that costs a fortune because they added water to the powder for you. 🤣

In my (short) experience.. For light rust white wine vinegar works very well.. let it soak a bit then scrub it. Then I apply some WD-40 let that sit and wipe it off.

Although it's expensive and a bit labor intensive but Jenolite works very well. I have been using that for heavier rust.

Back