When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Penetration Tests/Best Liquid Wrench

-
I generally use ATF cut with acetone, which he mentioned, because it's the cheapest thing going--I don't have to feel guilty about slathering it on a badly stuck headset or seatpost. A half-gallon of the witches' brew will set you back less than the cost of one small can of name-brand stuff. I apply it using a plastic ketchup bottle I bought at the dollar store.

bottles.jpg

I generally use ATF cut with acetone, which he mentioned, because it's the cheapest thing going--I don't have to feel guilty about slathering it on a badly stuck headset or seatpost. A half-gallon of the witches' brew will set you back less than the cost of one small can of name-brand stuff. I apply it using a plastic ketchup bottle I bought at the dollar store.

View attachment 823284

That is automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and not brake fluid, correct? Approx how much acetone do you add 5%, 10%???

Thanks,
Ken

I'm surprised acetone is compattable with a dollar store ketchup bottle, learn something everyday. I mix mine 50/50. I use a bottle with a little flip spout to keep the acetone from evaporating to much, I paid dearly for the bottles, they are Nalgene, had no idea dollar store bottles would work. Allways wanted to try Marvel Mystery and acetone mix, wonder how that would work?

I usually cut my mix roughly 50/50, but could probably go lighter on the acetone...the more solvent you use, the more likely it is to attack plastic, rubber, and other materials the mixture ought to be kept from. I would not recommend brake fluid because I spilled some once and took a big splotch of paint off the car fender. Marvel Mystery Oil is probably suitable, but I haven't tried it only because it costs significantly more than bargain brand ATF.

I've kept mine stored in the same squeeze bottle since 2014 and it has held up fine--the plastic does not seem to be affected. You will, however, have to fashion some sort of seal at the lid to keep things from leaking at that joint. I simply cut out a perforated disk from a piece of old inner tube and wrapped the cap tightly with a zip-tie to help make sure it stays firmly in place.

Kroil or Gibbs is what all the old Hit & Miss guys swear by. I tried many, Liquid wrench, WD-40, PB Blaster, others... Kroil smokes them by far!!!

I use PB blaster on stuck rusted in seat posts sprayed in btmbrkt with bike upside down, then wack seat post good crack down and does the trick Everytime!!

Back