When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust removal differences - see results

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Never tried Oxalic acid, not opposed to using it. I bought 5 lb tub of Citric Acid about 10 years ago, when I was collecting beer and soda cans. I've used it on bike chrome...works well.

Very cool school project. Its great when a father and son can work on things together. My dad and I built a mini moonshine still when I was in 6th grade.

Howdy folks! My son just completed a science project on some different forms of rust removal and their associated results after 36 hours of soaking and wire brushing. I figured this may help some of you as the results are different and may help with patina matching in some cases. Oxalic acid worked the fastest and the best followed by lemon juice, whereas vinegar left a little rust/discoloration, and molasses and water worked the slowest leaving the most rust/discoloration (which may be a preferred result depending on the project). Here are some pictures of his results along with the materials and procedure. I hope this helps!

-Lester

View attachment 999929

View attachment 999930

View attachment 999931

View attachment 999932

View attachment 999933

Materials:
  • 4 small containers or jars with lids (make sure they are completely dry)
  • Labels or tape
  • Permanent marker
  • Rusty steel objects
  • Water in varying amounts depending on solution
  • Oxalic acid (2 Tbsp)
  • Molasses (1:9 water)
  • Lemon juice (1:1 water)
  • Vinegar (¾ jar)
  • Steel brush

Procedure:

Set up Jar 1
  1. Add a rusty steel object to the bottom of the jar.
  2. Pour in water up to the three quarter mark.
  3. Add powdered oxalic acid and mix.
  4. Let soak for 36 hours
  5. Wire brush to remove loosened rust

Set Up Jar 2
  2. Pour in water up to the three quarter mark.
  3. Add molasses at a 1:9 ratio with the water and mix.
  4. Let soak for 36 hours
  5. Wire brush to remove loosened rust

Set Up Jar 3
  2. Pour in vinegar up to the three quarter mark.
  3. Let soak for 36 hours
  4. Wire brush to remove loosened rust

Set Up Jar 4
  2. Pour in lemon juice and water in equal amounts and mix.
  3. Let soak for 36 hours
  4. Wire brush to remove loosened rust

Controls:
  1. Metal pieces
  2. Each a liquid
  3. Same amount of time in
  4. Steel brush used on each

Independent variables:
  1. Oxalic acid solution
  2. Molasses & water solution
  3. Vinegar
  4. Lemon juice & water solution

Dependent variable:
  1. Rust on object
D
google electrolysis works every time ,earth friendly waste""
google electrolysis works every time ,earth friendly waste""
Oxalic acid is also environmentally friendly. I would like to see results before and after of electrolysis anyone? How does it fair with paint and decals and cadmium and galvanized parts? WITH OXALIC DO NOT DIP CADMIUM OR GALVANIZED PARTS AND EXPECT POTENTIAL LOSS OF OLD DECAL PIGMENT IF HIGHLY OXIDIZED AT SURFACE. Here’s an example after oxalic bath and Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and tired hands...

D

Oxalic acid is also environmentally friendly. I would like to see results before and after of electrolysis anyone? How does it fair with paint and decals and cadmium and galvanized parts? WITH OXALIC DO NOT DIP CADMIUM OR GALVANIZED PARTS AND EXPECT POTENTIAL LOSS OF OLD DECAL PIGMENT IF HIGHLY OXIDIZED AT SURFACE. Here’s an example after oxalic bath and Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound and tired hands...View attachment 1088845
View attachment 1088842

View attachment 1088844
I've never used oa but it seems that although it really cleaned up the red nicely on the tank some of the green decal and even little bits of the white paint was removed. I might use that compound in the future on my bikes but hold off on oa for painted areas unless there is heavy surface rust that won't wash off. Thanks for the post and pics.

electrolysis is fast for rust removal large or small parts,if there is paint on the same item in the solution say good by to the paint lol,
if you are going to remove rust from a fender why worry about the paint ,you are going to refinish the fender correct,this method and others are all good you must decide,
not to change the subject i went from building 400 h.p. chevy motors to THREE wow , nice talking to you guys , i needed a change""

A fine project with good memories with your son. Thanx for posting your results. I have used OA found in various products such as Bar Keepers Friend and a product sold at Dollar General. They both work well for smaller objects.

Back