When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust removal in subzero temps

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
My roadmaster project is on hold until I can figure out a way to safely remove rust on the entire bike. I made a paste made out of Bar Keepers and applied it to a test surface. It made no effect.

I know evaporust and oxalic acid are the two go-tos. I want to use a plastic kiddie pool (or some variant) out in the garage. Problem is it’s in the 20s. Indoor is not an option with small children around.
Any workarounds without having to shell out $$$$ for gallons of evaporust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bar Keepers friend is a scouring powder that has to be rubbed on. It will remove some oxidized paint. rub hard enough and kiss any striping good-bye.
Contrary to what has been stated in previous threads here, it contains no oxalic acid. It's good for cleaning a sink or bathtub, but not bikes.
Look around your place and find some junk lumber: 1x8-----2x8 or rips of plywood. Lay your bike frame on the floor and build a box around your frame, just big enough to hold it. DOUBLE line it with heavy gauge plastic so it don't leak. Put it out in the garage with your bike frame setting in it. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with very hot water, mixed in with at least 2-3 tablespoons per gallon OX. Completely submerge your frame in it. It will take a while for it to freeze. I'd set a small electric space heater blowing onto it. If your frame is not all rust, sometimes the paint will come back in as little as 20 minutes. Bad rust anywhere from 6 hours to over night. Good luck. Buy the OX at Ace, sold under Savogran Wood Bleach for about 9 bucks. It will be enough to do at least 4 bikes.

10 % Molasses to water is much cheeper

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

M70Sk3pWRoa0Q%u2SZ63iA.jpg

004nV9ueTkKO8ESC0iLr%Q.jpg

fullsizeoutput_835.jpeg

DC2T9n2FQLCfBaUVFPBKpA.jpg

In5SzXlmTkq7f1UQCAg2tw.jpg

EbtESjWRSK+H39LCr42dFQ.jpg

fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpeg

MwIg%pC1R2ms+Tj5DAjVdg.jpg

tH2xQy00TaaBwrFtBMO8XA.jpg

GkxzQtEGRfuvYkEr1AZQjA.jpg

10 % Molasses to water is much cheeper

I'm not sure how it's cheaper; making 5 gals of solution at 10% would take 1/2 gal of molasses. I can't find 1/2 gal of molasses for $9. Plus, it might take seven weeks to do the job vs. much less with OA. I'm not in a sub-freezing area but I've always wondered if using an aquarium heater would help the OA along in wintertime. One thing with kids around is that the molasses solution is safer for skin contact vs. OA but I wouldn't let toddlers around either container uncovered due to the drowning risk.

Bar Keepers friend is a scouring powder that has to be rubbed on. It will remove some oxidized paint. rub hard enough and kiss any striping good-bye.
Contrary to what has been stated in previous threads here, it contains no oxalic acid. It's good for cleaning a sink or bathtub, but not bikes....

Barkeepersfriend DOES contain OA, it's the main ingredient other cleaners don't have. (https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/institutional/soft-cleanser-institutional/)
Product Data
Ingredients: water, mineral abrasive, citric acid, oxalic acid, surfactants, citrus
fragrance

It works well if you use the liquid paste form and are very careful to avoid decals and to clean pinstripes VERY lightly. I've used it on q-tips on white chainguard silkscreens and white painted S2 rims with success. But it can change old mellow white (ivory) paint to a bright bleached white so test a small area first.

I'm not sure how it's cheaper; making 5 gals of solution at 10% would take 1/2 gal of molasses. I can't find 1/2 gal of molasses for $9.

I stand corrected, there are some places to get molasses online for $7.40 per Gallon. Search "golden barrel blackstrap molasses"

well I tried molasses on a wheel set a while back and worked good,but slow , took about 3 weeks and in a warm basement----- and if your going to use it in sub zero tempatures?????? might defeat the purpose. heres what I have cooking right now in wood bleach

20180211_032800.jpg

Barkeepersfriend DOES contain OA, it's the main ingredient other cleaners don't have. (https://www.barkeepersfriend.com/institutional/soft-cleanser-institutional/)
Product Data
Ingredients: water, mineral abrasive, citric acid, oxalic acid, surfactants, citrus
fragrance

It works well if you use the liquid paste form and are very careful to avoid decals and to clean pinstripes VERY lightly. I've used it on q-tips on white chainguard silkscreens and white painted S2 rims with success. But it can change old mellow white (ivory) paint to a bright bleached white so test a small area first.
You are right, I was wrong about the Barkeeper's Friend ingredients. I tried soaking parts twice, in a heavy concentrated solution of it for a couple days , with no results what-so- ever.
It's good as an abrasive cleaner, but use full strength oxalic acid for soaking your parts.

I'm planning on doing a whole frameset and forks in an OA bath. I've never used this method before.
The container is 4 feet in diameter and liquid will be about 6 to 7 inches deep in order to submerge the whole kit and caboodle.
Does anyone have any recommendations for how much weight of Oxalic Acid (in crystalline form) I'll need to use?
I've ordered 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) and hope this will be enough!
Thanks,
Darren.

Back