rust removal

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

tech549

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Feb 9, 2014
attleboro falls, United States
tried the molasses rust removal,soak for 2 weeks,before and after pics
IMAG0306.jpg
IMAG0307.jpg
IMAG0308.jpg
IMAG0385.jpg
IMAG0386.jpg
IMAG0387.jpg
IMAG0388.jpg

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
reminds me of the term slower than molassis,on a serious note,i found a plastic container that had a large enough diamiter to put a 26 inch rim in,but a rim in,put enough evapo-rust in to cover rim,put lid on container,works excelent,t=had to search a lot of farm supply paces to find a container with the right diamiter,some expense involve in set up but well worth it,weels come out as nice as they are ever gonna b and you can do wheels till the cows come home

Reactions: rustjunkie

catfish

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike
Sep 25, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
thecabe.com
A friend of mine has a molasses tank in his yard. Big enough to hold a pick up truck bed. I've seen the before and after. It works great. But he will leave stuff in there for a month or more.

spoker

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 3, 2011
Minneapolis, United States
thats another thing i like about evapo rust way faster,and the way the parts come out will make ya happy!!!

Daniel J VanDongen

On Training Wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Motor City
Wood bleach worked for me. I let it soak for a 15 to 20 mins. Then used a brillo to polish. Rust was gone. I'll get some pictures.

tech549

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Feb 9, 2014
attleboro falls, United States
ya dan I know I have used wood bleach but I was in no hurry and wanted to see how this worked.these rims had heavy rust and it took 90% of the rust off worked good.i am going to try it on a bike frame next to see how it is with paint.

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
This gets rehashed every so often on this forum. There are dozens of ways to remove rust, but usually the circumstances will shake it down to just a couple. Oxalic acid is a favorite, but it has its risks. It can pull off plating if there is corrosion underneath that plating. It can ruin decals and can ruin paint, depending on the condition and type of paint. Use with caution on painted parts: keep the solution relatively diluted and check the parts often. It can work very well, but it can cause damage in certain circumstances.

Daniel J VanDongen

On Training Wheels
Feb 27, 2016
Motor City
ya dan I know I have used wood bleach but I was in no hurry and wanted to see how this worked.these rims had heavy rust and it took 90% of the rust off worked good.i am going to try it on a bike frame next to see how it is with paint.
I've only used this on Chrome. I don't think this product should be used on paint unless of coarse you are looking to repaint.

Reactions: Pantmaker
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Pantmaker

I live for the CABE
Dec 1, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Citric Acid is my new favorite "chemical" derusting solution. Its relatively cheap (got 5 lbs for $18 on Amazon.) I just used it strategically on most of the plated parts and both painted fenders on the Emblem bike I recently, finished. Get some and play around with it. Try different concentrations. You will be really impressed. 5-pound By International Spice https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085WHRR4/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_TPT3wbT2VQFAV

shawn57187

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 8, 2011
Portland, OR
Wood bleach is great - its much faster than molasses. You just have to be careful with the concentration included in your soaking solution, and make sure to check it often so it doesn't eat your finish / paint.

Reactions: CrazyDave

SirMike1983

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 27, 2008
Inactive
Rust removal is not a hobby, it is a way of life. There just happens to accidentally be a bike under the rust...

Reactions: LGibbs1372

CrazyDave

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Feb 4, 2016
My first ox bath is about 5 hours in right now :D I love it! Mixed a little over 1.5 tablespoons per gallon. OK chrome it didnt hurt yet. The very thin '49 red paint did get a touch more pinkish overall and where it was real poor in one spot is now bare metal. Under the tank and such where the paint was still decent looks great. It made extra crusty fender brackets look amazingly nice, well painted parts look superb, and heavily crusted-use to be chrome parts it took to bare metal. Im going to let it cook for the night and see what I got in the AM. Thanks for the great tip Cabers! Never heard of such a thing until I came here. I hope I still got bike parts when I wake up. lol.

ram.1950

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 8, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Where is the cheapest place to obtain the wood bleach/ox bath?

This ad goes away when you register for an account!