When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty Colson

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So..... brought this rusty Colson frame home on Sunday. I should have brought one of those shoes home too, I've been wanting to get a kayak.....:) gosh that's a big shoe....
IMG_2210.JPG
Anyway, It's tempting, but I never immediately start taking something this rusty apart. I've broken stems, twisted and snapped forks, even head-badge screws. Made a pretzel out of a seat post once.
I soak everything in penetrating oil first. I'll place the frame in different positions, and leave it sit overnight.
IMG_2232.JPG

The stem bolt was already missing from the stem. That tells me someone else tried to remove it before, in vain.
IMG_2233.JPG

If the oil doesn't work, I'll try the good old torch. Lots of heat works, but can damage paint. In the case of this frame there is no paint left to damage, so that could be an option.
I'll let this frame soak on the stand until Friday. Also made a wooden mock-up the truss rods I need for the fork out of an old flag staff. I cut it where it bends, and applied J.B. Weld on it to cement and hold position. I'll bring this sample to a swap for positive truss rod I.D.
IMG_2235.JPG

This bike will be made into a fender-less rider. I'm into black lately so black it will be.....cause black is beautiful.

Back