When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rusty stuff

-
So- to recap: 1) You bought some rusty parts at a good price. 2) You then proceeded to remove the rust by soaking in a solution known to remove rust. 3) The parts are no longer rusty. Congratulations.

So- to recap: 1) You bought some rusty parts at a good price. 2) You then proceeded to remove the rust by soaking in a solution known to remove rust. 3) The parts are no longer rusty. Congratulations.

Congratulations ? .............sounds like a tinge of sarcasm duck. Haven't finished soaking all the parts yet. They probably will turn out good. I will post the results.
I, unlike you, actually work on these old bikes . Then, unlike you I post the results. Good or bad, mistakes and all for the folks that have recently entered this hobby to see.

Congratulations ? .............sounds like a tinge of sarcasm duck. Haven't finished soaking all the parts yet. They probably will turn out good. I will post the results.
I, unlike you, actually work on these old bikes . Then, unlike you I post the results. Good or bad, mistakes and all for the folks that have recently entered this hobby to see.
How do you know what I do or don't do? Have we even met? FYI, I contributed info to the restoration thread a while back- Perhaps you were too busy soaking your parts to have seen it (?)

Last edited:
Oh I know you all right. You have pulled this stuff before.
This is the restoration thread. If anyone wishes to add some other ways of doing something , or correct what they believe is an error, that is welcome. Genuine humor and the fun spirit of the Cabe is also welcome.
Think about what you wrote duck. Did it add anything constructive to this post? Did it provide any humor to give someone a laugh? Did it brighten anyone's day except the darkness of yours?
You wish to start trouble in your subtle way? Try the "Break-Room"........or are those boys too big for you to play with?
I will not respond any further to your foolishness.

So, after I congratulate you, you insult me and then pontificate about it? Man, talk about having issues- you really take the cake.

Last edited:
I know it's been a while.... The pedals came out great! So good in fact that I decided to look around the shop and find some more to soak in the Evapo Rust. I have used this product before. I believe it was marketed under the name"Saferust". The nice thing about it is there are no fumes and nothing caustic .
Can be used over and over.
Most of these pedals had fairly deep rust. Some were frozen and would not rotate.
After a 2 day soak they were washed off and loose grime was brushed off under running water with a fiber brush.
No wire brushing or steel wool. What amazed me was the amount of pure rust that washed out from beneath the sheet metal sleeve and bearing cups. All the pedals now spin freely. With a few drops of oil they should be fine.
The other bonus was when I first got the pedals out of the solution the rubber blocks felt slimy to the touch, leaving my hands as if dipped in black paint. Not that I like my hands looking like that. It was after they were washed did I realize what was happening.
After scrubbing each pedal down a fair amount of "dead rubber" and grime washed off the blocks leaving them looking excellent with no damage.
I let them dry off and could not ask for better results. The blocks dried hard with no residue.

The chain rings unfortunately were missing most of their plating. The Evapo rust did remove all the rust with only a scrubbing with the fiber brush and water.
The total amount of pedals being done will be 44. plus the chain rings and 2 cranks.
I have 3/4 of the original gallon of solution left.
I give this product 4 stars. Price with tax was about $25 for a gallon. Was purchased at O' Reilly Auto Parts.
002.JPG
003.JPG
001.JPG
005.JPG

009.JPG
007.JPG

I do intend to try the lime juice. I have one more batch shown above to soak.
006.JPG

These pedals turned out great with.....no disassembly, no dangerous wire wheel work and no effort.:)

Hey Tinker, ever try this product on old chains? I currently have seat parts soaking and what came out earlier looks great.

Hey Tinker, ever try this product on old chains? I currently have seat parts soaking and what came out earlier looks great.
I was thinking of this earlier today when I read Crazy Daves post on rusty chains. I seem to recall somewhere buried in the restoration thread there is mention of doing this. I have tried soaking them in tranny fluid and that worked good on stiff chains. I am not sure if this product will work if there is any oil or grease over the area to be de-rusted.
Anyone have any info on this?

Back