When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S-2 factory painted wheels

-

furrycnorm

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am starting to clean up my new project, a 1955 schwinn hornet. The wheels are painted ivory to match the rest of the bike but show surface rust and rust that looks like it has eaten through the paint in several spots. By looking at the pictures, what do you recommend I use to clean them/soak them to clean them up without removing more paint? I want to keep the bike original and not repaint if possible.
20180922_194817.jpg

20180922_194811.jpg

20180917_180805.jpg

20180917_180815.jpg

I've had luck with a kiddie pool with citric acid.
Watched some videos. Looks like citric acid does what I want, eats away rust great. Would you recommend I seal the entire wheel in a clearcoat afterwords so the exposed metal doesnt start to corrode?

I m no expert...but I think I'd use a good wax. In my experience ,with non-bicycle projects, some clear coats have a negative reaction to the paint....or over time the clear coat yellows. There are a lot more qualified people on this site to give you a better answer about clear coat in regard to Schwinn paints.

Are you planning on breaking down the wheels ?

I m no expert...but I think I'd use a good wax. In my experience ,with non-bicycle projects, some clear coats have a negative reaction to the paint....or over time the clear coat yellows. There are a lot more qualified people on this site to give you a better answer about clear coat in regard to Schwinn paints.

Are you planning on breaking down the wheels ?
Not sure yet, the spokes dont look bent or anything so I might just leave it together and just break down the rear hub itself.

The spokes look to be in good shape and not rusty..from the pictures. The rims look very good as well. I didn't know if you were going to break down the wheels to clean, polish and wax then rebuild....and service the hubs.

The spokes look to be in good shape and not rusty..from the pictures. The rims look very good as well. I didn't know if you were going to break down the wheels to clean, polish and wax then rebuild....and service the hubs.
I might do it just because I have never fully broken down a wheel.

If you're not going to break down the wheels I would clean up the rims with Bar Keepers Friend using 0000 steel wool and or a brass brush for around the spokes. Then a few coats of a good wax.

I'll try that for the S-2s I'm moving from Darla to my nephew's 1995. It's part 90s, part 50s and part repro but I wish I'd had one like it when I was a young teen.

I believe I actually have some BKF sitting around.

Back