When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S-5 rims and Bendix Automatic Hub

-
M

monkeylight

I just got my hands on an old Schwinn Traveler--a '63 I believe. It's got S-5 rims and a Bendix Automatic triple band hub. I don't know enough about the hub. Is there a difference in hub size for different rim sizes (e.g., S-5 versus S-7)? Is this bike worth cleaning up? Should I junk it for parts? The last Traveler I had was a P.O.S. so I don't want to invest time in clean up if it's better spent in dis-assembly.

post a picture but yes the s5 rims are smaller than the s7 and take a certain tire that walmart doesn't carry.

Working on getting pictures. I know the S-5 rims are smaller and tires need to be special ordered. Is the hub the same size? I guess my question is two-fold. Could this bike be worth anything (is it anything special)? Can I use this hub on a bike with S-7 or some other size rims?

depends on the collector or location, I like those early 60's lightweights if the bike is in good shape as far as paint and chrome then it might be worth something in a bike town. I know if boise I can sell those older lightweights real quick for at least over a 100

The Bendix hubs all have the same flange size regardless of the rim then were laced into.

The Traveler was a fairly deluxe bike, chrome guard and stainless fenders and white grips and all of that. They aren't all that collectable unless they are in good shape. If it's a 23" frame in Radiant Green in really nice shape, shoot me some pictures and let's talk.

Cheers, Geoff

Back