When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S-5 Wheels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bikerider007

Finally riding a big boys bike
Anyone know when these began? I have an older Superior project and trying to determine if these are original to it. I see the ads showing S-6 available in 1948 or so and I think that is the Superior age.

They are stamped Schwinn S 5 and have raised center, Schwinn script hubs, rear has expander brake. Low flange.

I'll take a carefully aimed stab at the year the S-5 appeared. 1965

Maybe that's a year off. I'll say 1964 when Schwinn started offering all kinds of new lightweights.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm still stabbing at it and we're getting it down closer to Pre War. ;)

61 ad states S-5's. But they sure are not depicted as raised center.

1961dlr_Racer.jpg

Okay, I'm still stabbing at it and we're getting it down closer to Pre War. ;)

61 ad states S-5's. But they sure are not depicted as raised center.

1961dlr_Racer.jpg
Off the top of my head, I think your close on the '64 stab...at least as far as the raised center S-5 goes. I wanna say the first year Collegiate (with the one year only hat-ring decals and the painted fenders) sported them. I think its possible the "S-5" was a rim similar in profile to the S-6 prior '64.
uploadfromtaptalk1460622454059.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 1955 Racer that to the best of my knowledge is all original and it has S-5 rims. Rear has a 2 speed lever shift Bendix.

I have a 1955 Racer that to the best of my knowledge is all original and it has S-5 rims. Rear has a 2 speed lever shift Bendix.

Do they have raised center?

Thanks guys for digging in. I wondered as the frame is not drilled on rear bridge so it came with expander, guess they could have updated. And why S6 would be released before S5. I am assuming they went in chronological order. And wishful thinking :)

I have most parts, had to get a few off a ladies Superior and am trying to ID everything, going to put together soon.

Can we see some pics of the rims in question. Are you sure its an expander brake and not a three speed hub?

Can we see some pics of the rims in question. Are you sure its an expander brake and not a three speed hub?

Yes sir. Also throwing in a pic of the project with some cleanup. The rear brake was off the donor too since he did not need. Figured it cant hurt to have. Rear fender and guard are off the Superior, front was a 60s lightweight but appears the same. Will probably just sand those and make dull black for now. Not real sure how much to put into it. Serial is B949.
IMG_20160229_183000231_TOP.jpg
IMG_20160401_190048440.jpg

Well, my memory obviously is not what it used to be. My 55 Racer has S-6 rims, not the raised center S-5's. It is another later Racer I have with the S-5's as well as my 71 Manta Ray. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Back