When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

s2 knurled painted rim

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Hi. Did Schwinn use the cross hatch knurling pattern simultaneously with the straight parallel line pattern? If not, when did they switch patterns? I have some 1953 lightweights with the cross hatch pattern. Thank you. Dave.

I've seen a few S-6 rims with that knurling, but never an S-2. I believe @Oilit has a set of those S-6's.

Knurling is caused by the feed rollers in the forming machine. the first ones did not have as much pressure pinching the rim down, but they are all knurled to some extent, and I am sure they decided a larger pressure made them all look the same, and rolled with it. I have a few early sets, one is on my 47 WZ, and you can still see the roller pattern inside
The knurling was purely decorative. It covered the resistance-weld seam where the metal was pinched together. Early ones, and also painted ones through the 50's, were not knurled.

Hi. Did Schwinn use the cross hatch knurling pattern simultaneously with the straight parallel line pattern? If not, when did they switch patterns? I have some 1953 lightweights with the cross hatch pattern. Thank you. Dave.
I believe the diamond knurl came first, at least that's what's on my '53. My '55 (both bikes are Travelers) has the straight knurl.

Back