When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S2 rim repair?

-

Shawn Michael

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Hi, I have a nice set of heavy duty S2 wheels that have two dents on the left side of the rear wheel. I haven't taken the tires off yet, but can they be hammered out with a soft mallet? I would like to keep them and use on another bike. Would they be from a Whizzer?
Thanks, Shawn M.

Ouch! That was a big hit!!

Unfortunately due to the tubular construction it’s a near impossible task. You’ll have to find another rim.

I was very fortunate. Mine were almost like that and I was able to use a piece of oak and a big hammer and knock the dent mostly back in. The spokes were out so the rim could move where it wanted. With the dent pushed back in, the rim is now pretty straight and both of them trued fine. I am not saying yours will act the same but I had good luck doing it.

I was very fortunate. Mine were almost like that and I was able to use a piece of oak and a big hammer and knock the dent mostly back in. The spokes were out so the rim could move where it wanted. With the dent pushed back in, the rim is now pretty straight and both of them trued fine. I am not saying yours will act the same but I had good luck doing it.
When doing that, did you place the block of wood inside the rim or just the outside and hit it with the malet? I would like to save the wheel.

I used it on the outside; it was what actually touched the rim. I hit it with the hammer to avoid any small dings or dents in the metal. I suspect if you had access to a press, you could do it much safer and more controlled.

A guy on here named Nate Krakow (sp?) is an expert machinist on these types of things, maybe he can help. Go to the Services section and he is the fork straightener.

You have nothing to lose.Try fixing.The worse that can happen is it is ready for the trash. Just make sure you have some type backing that fits in the rim to prevent further damage.I have saved a few rims this way.If it doesnt work get another wheel

You have nothing to lose.Try fixing.The worse that can happen is it is ready for the trash. Just make sure you have some type backing that fits in the rim to prevent further damage.I have saved a few rims this way.If it doesnt work get another wheel
Thank you Vince. I will definitely try to pound it out myself when I get a warmer day to do it. I will also take take some more pictures of the progress and post them as I go.

I agree. If the alternative is to discard it, then what harm can be caused by trying? Get creative--I often use C-clamps to apply persuasion where it's needed, especially in achieving a consistent rim width.

Bicycle Research used to make a rim dent tool. They're usually available on ebay. Eldi made a dent puller for flat spots on rims.

Back