When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S7 front axels

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

nightrider

Finally riding a big boys bike
So, I have had a few S7 wheel sets. 2 of them seem to have a different tpi. Some use a common nut . I tuned up a set recently that was missing a nut on the front. Robbed one from another set because none of my stash would fit. I'm currently fixing a bike to give to a friend. Problem is, I now need a front axel nut to replace the one I robbed. I don't have the tools to measure. Most front axels I have are the same. These S7's have a different tpi. Anyone know what I need? I also know this is kinda vague, but there can't be too many variations.
Thanks, Johnny

but there can't be too many variations.

Ive got some bad news for you. There are at least 3 and probably more like six. The last time we had a thread about this, the consensus was it would be cheaper and easier to buy a NOS "Schwinn Approved" hub on ebay (not that expensive) and relace the wheel.

That said, hopefully you have a common one. The fact that it is S7 doesn't really matter, S7 is just the rim. If you have one of the common variations this might even be easy. I believe those are 5/16" 26tpi (most common I think), 5/16" 24tpi (also a common non-Schwinn size), and 8mm-1.0 (?). I believe there are others. They all look alike until the parts don't fit. You'll just have to get a thread gauge and a caliper and make your best guess.

I am assuming you have a Schwinn or Schwinn Approved script front hub. I doubt you would have New Departure with an S7 rim but it is probably not impossible. Those have a proprietary thread.

Last edited:
Ive got some bad news for you. There are at least 3 and probably more like six. The last time we had a thread about this, the consensus was it would be cheaper and easier to buy a NOS "Schwinn Approved" hub on ebay (not that expensive) and relace the wheel.

That said, hopefully you have a common one. The fact that it is S7 doesn't really matter, S7 is just the rim. If you have one of the common variations this might even be easy. I believe those are 5/16" 26tpi (most common I think), 5-16 24tpi (also a common non-Schwinn size), and 8mm-1.0 (?). I believe there are others. They all look alike until the parts don't fit. You'l just have to get a thread gauge and a caliper and make your best guess.

I am assuming you have a Schwinn or Schwinn Approved script front hub. I doubt you would have New Departure with an S7 rim but it is probably not impossible. Those have a proprietary thread.
Thanks. I knew I probably wouldn't get a definite answer. Didn't know there were so many though. Out of 6 sets I own, 4 share the same size as most vintage hubs. 2 are different. All are 5/16 ( I think).
I do have a great nut and bolt supplier here, I guess a need to run down there.
Thank you.

Schwinn used a few different brand front hubs so there was a thread pitch difference between some of them and they were different than the hub and axles that Schwinn actually made. Schwinn made the Schwinn script front hubs for decades and then they actually outsourced that hub. The Schwinn script looked identical but the hub also had Approved inscribed on it. This changed happened around 1962 from examples on bikes that I've seen. The Schwinn made axles take the so called metric threaded nuts. Some say those don't even fit. Luxlow on eBay sells the whole axle, cones, nuts and washer assembly that supposidly fits the Schwinn script hubs, although I've never purchased one to verify.

Back