When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

S7 Vs S2 wheels

-

PD Monkey

Look Ma, No Hands!
This might be a dumb question but is there a way to tell a S7 vs S2 apart. Also can you put 26x2.125 on a S7 wheel?

I bought a '62 Fleet. It has S7 wheels and the 26x1.75 tires. I just bought a '80 cruiser and I am not sure what wheels it has. They are not stock (older wheels but stamped made in china). It has 26x1.90 tires. I measured the width of the wheels (fleet and cruiser) and they both are around 1.4". I also have a Nirve beach cruiser with 26x2.125 tires and the wheels are 1.3" wide.

I guess what I need to know is......I want to put balloon tires on the cruiser. S2 wheels are hard to find, what other choices are good? I am not trying to restore the bike but I want it to have a vintage feel. Whatever wheels I choose, I am going to put a SA 3-speed hub in it.

This might be a dumb question but is there a way to tell a S7 vs S2 apart. Also can you put 26x2.125 on a S7 wheel?

I bought a '62 Fleet. It has S7 wheels and the 26x1.75 tires. I just bought a '80 cruiser and I am not sure what wheels it has. They are not stock (older wheels but stamped made in china). It has 26x1.90 tires. I measured the width of the wheels (fleet and cruiser) and they both are around 1.4". I also have a Nirve beach cruiser with 26x2.125 tires and the wheels are 1.3" wide.

I guess what I need to know is......I want to put balloon tires on the cruiser. S2 wheels are hard to find, what other choices are good? I am not trying to restore the bike but I want it to have a vintage feel. Whatever wheels I choose, I am going to put a SA 3-speed hub in it.
Yes if you look closely side by side s2 wheels are wider than the s7 wheels. Also S7 wheels are taller/bigger than s2 wheels. By the way S7 wheels are not 1.75 they are 1 3/4. I know they may sound the same but they are not. The s7 rim will only take an s7 tire period.

Your cruiser should have S2 wheels that are generally not stamped. S2 wheels are 2 1/8 but these = 2.125. These wheels are not too pricey and you can find a set rather easily for a good price

Your cruiser should have S2 wheels that are generally not stamped. S2 wheels are 2 1/8 but these = 2.125. These wheels are not too pricey and you can find a set rather easily for a good price
Someone must have changed them out over the years. The wheels are pretty rusty. I noticed a stamp by the valve stem. I lightly sanded it only to find "made in China". Like I mentioned above it has 26 x1.90 (rear) and 26x1.75 (front). It is not the bike I wanted to start my beach cruiser from but the bike had a good story to it. I guess, I bought the story, not the bike.

guess what I need to know is......I want to put balloon tires on the cruiser. S2 wheels are hard to find, what other choices are good? I am not trying to restore the bike but I want it to have a vintage feel. Whatever wheels I choose, I am going to put a SA 3-speed hub in it.
Schwinn various S rim/tire sizing can get funky. But luckily 26" S2 rims are 559 BSD, use 26" tires labeled on sidewall 559 BSD aka ISO/ETRTO, a very common size. 559 rims very common cruiser size. See your nirve.

The combo of 559 rims with SA 3-speed seems less common, but can check out custom build route. Or 559 with Shimano Nexus 3-speed seems more common.
Good luck! 👍👍

Someone must have changed them out over the years. The wheels are pretty rusty. I noticed a stamp by the valve stem. I lightly sanded it only to find "made in China". Like I mentioned above it has 26 x1.90 (rear) and 26x1.75 (front). It is not the bike I wanted to start my beach cruiser from but the bike had a good story to it. I guess, I bought the story, not the bike.
Those are the size of the tires tire on the 26 inch wheel. You can put a 2.125 on a 1.75 rim. You do not need 2.125 rims to run a balloon tire. You can even run some big 2.3 Far Franks if you like.

Back