When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SA 3 speed Lubrication

-
Best oil for that IMHO is Sewing Machine oil, available at any sewing store and reasonable. Motor oil has detergent that is not helpful in a SA hub

For the chain, WD 40 then scrub with a toothbrush, spray WD 40 again, dry, then apply graphitized grease. For the internal gears only graphitized grease in small quantities.
When reinstalling the chain, hand tighten until fully snug, then loosen 1/4 turn.
The control cable should have some slack when in position "3". The cable should never be taut in this position.

Last edited:
I am still having a problem with my '70 Sports hub (dated 69 13) which will occasionally free spin when pedalling in 3rd gear. I have tried to adjusting a little one way or the other, but it still happens (although inconsistently). The hub itself looks super clean when opened up, never any discoloration to the lubricant. I have put more miles on the bike in 7 years than the previous owner who had it for about 45 years. Bike was in excellent condition when received (no rust, all original) except cross-threaded left pedal (I exchanged crank and pedal). I just want to eliminate the problem. I have tried all of the adjustment tips that have been given so I am at a loss as to what to do next other than exchange it for a spare hub I have laying about (actually 3 spares).

Edit: it makes the proper ticking noises when coasting or pedalling. I do not back pedal on it!

If slipping out of high gear, check the 4-arm clutch plate and planetary axle/drive pins. If worn (sometimes not noticeable) the clutch slowly climbs up and off the drive pin ends after a certain number of pedal strokes. Put a new (used) set from your other spare hubs as they interchange. Also, check your pawl spring tensions and make sure they are all working with good spring tension. Sometimes one of them is busted or has too little spring pressure on it. And lastly, maybe firstly, ensure your drive side axle cone is buried to the end of the threads on the axle, then backed out 1/2 a turn and secured in place. One of the above most likely.
1683121718654.jpeg

Thank you @SKPC
I will check everything you mentioned. Spring tension was one of my biggest conerns just because everything else appeared to have no discernable wear, but not being experienced with these hubs at the time I may not have been aware of what type of wear to look for. I'll pull apart my spares and check them out first (from the 60s and 70s).

Early 70's ladies Raleigh Sport. Is this the right forum for it? What lubricating oil is recommended for the 3 speed SA hub? The chain pulls out and and goes in but is a bit stiff. Maybe flush the unit first?
I read in an 70's Raleigh owners manual to use SAE 20 weight oil to lubricate.

When I worked in a shop, and saw internal gear hubs that have been sitting awhile, we would remove the transmission assembly and soak it in Automatic Transmission Fluid for about half an hour, then remove to drip dry about 15 minutes. We would then wipe down all parts we could see and apply light grease sparingly to bearings. When reassembled, we would drip SAE 20W oil into hub shell - maybe 25 - 50 mL depending on model.

We'd almost always replace the shift cable at the same time. Also soak and oil the indicator chain.

More info on Sturmey stuff here:

Hope you are having fun with the project!

Back