When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sa 3 Speed Shifter Interchangeable?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Greg M

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I'm wondering if I could swap out the trigger shifter on my AB hub for a quadrant style shifter. I understand that the AW and AB hubs use the same internals ( just with the added drum brake on the AB ) but do the two styles of shifter pull the same length of cable?

I would think so, but I'm not an expert. I am also trying this on a bike of mine. I did hook mine up and tested it before I tore it all down to paint. I didn't ride it, but it seemed to shift. I also made my own cable for it. The hub I was using is a AW hub.

I've seen bikes that have switched the newer shifters with the old style for looks on custom bikes, so it probably works without modification.

I know the newer (post war) trigger shifters have a lot of travel, so I would think it's possible either way.

You could try calling Sturmey-Archer and asking. I had a few questions over the years about random stuff and they've always had an answer.

I've had success updating shifters between AWs with the exception of the 3sx model( it has a different amount of cable pull)

Back