When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sad Day For My Pierce, Is There Any Hope?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

gkeep

I live for the CABE
Hello All,
Thought I'd take my Pierce out for a little ride around town. I made it about 6 blocks and as I started across an intersection I felt the left peddle un-threading. I coasted out of the intersection and could see it had come out about 1/3 of the way. I backed it out by hand and found that at the end of the spindle where the screwdriver slot is the metal had fatigued/cracked off a chuck and in those few turns across the intersection, the threads were partially stripped and chewed up both male and female.

Anyone ever had this happen to a TOC bike? Ever chased teh female threads on the arm with a tap and revived them?

May not be a rider anymore...

Thanks for any advice or condolences.

Gary

No such thing as unfixable. Take heart. Worth tapping the females and thread filing the males (better option than a die.) Google helicoil if things get ugly.

Thanks.
My neighbor (retired machinist and bike guy from way back, has a couple 2os bikes) happened to call tonight on another topic and I mentioned it to him. Helicoil is the backup plan if there is not enough meat left to chase the old threads. Looks like a pretty straight forward repair but still bugs me that I did this to a hundred year old bike.

Gary

i worked as a machinist / welder apprentice when a young man there were several newport news ship builders /machinist /welders and one genius tool and die maker from the same ship yard /part of the overall business was a shipyard machinist so there was no shortage of old school talent at the establishment ,to get down to a correct fix i would braze up the crank hole and rethread also strip the pedal down to the bare axel build up the threaded end and run a correct die down the axle and put it right back at std /std

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, I thought of that option too. Sounds like you were lucky to have worked with those guys. I also had a chance to work and learn from WWII and earlier Merchant Marine and Navy guys in the early 80s on the National Parks Service historic ship collection in San Francisco. One of them had been the youngest cadet with Admiral Byrd's Antarctic explorations in the 30s. He taught me a lot about working around steam engines and how to file the perfect edge on a scraper, razor sharp. Spent meany hours scaling iron work with a chipping hammer listening to his stories of working Liberty Ships from Australia to India. He and a number of others I knew had sailed on the square rigger Kiaulani around Cape Horn in 1940. Last of their kind and all gone now.

Gary

Back