When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle Development 1900s to 1940s Patents and Ads

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
What remains of my 1898 "Quadrant" (Coventry,
England) saddle.
Ladies pattern model.
It features 20 individual, small, coil springs and square section rails requiring a special clamp.
Top view.....
20201229_105216.jpg

Bottom view.....
20201229_105403.jpg

Side view.....
20201229_105526.jpg

It's missing the original top cover.
Here's what the only other known example looks like......
20201229_102043.jpg

I've never seen another design like it.

Great thread @Miq.

And apologies, I can find neither patent or ads that clearly show the saddle construction and design.

Last edited:
Thanks @SoBayRon and @dnc1!

The individual coil springs in your TOC saddle are great @dnc1. They would make some of the mattresses I’ve slept on jealous. Thank you for the pics and info about it.

I love seeing all the different methods people have designed for loosely coupling your rear end to two wheels. We’ve been trying different solutions for a couple of centuries now, so there’s lots of different approaches.

@bud poe that Pan-Dandy looks like it matches the patent I showed but @Jesse McCauley 's Sterling saddle has a round nose coil spring. I hadn't noticed that before. Do you know what year the ad you posted was made?

@bud poe that Pan-Dandy looks like it matches the patent I showed but @Jesse McCauley 's Sterling saddle has a round nose coil spring. I hadn't noticed that before. Do you know what year the ad you posted was made?
@Miq It’s from the 1916 Morley Brothers catalog posted on page 1 of this thread. Something I learned is that the long drop springs showed up as early as 1906, I always thought they were a teen’s innovation.

Been a while since this invaluable thread got some new posts so I thought I would share some current research I'm undertaking.
I have been trying to narrow down the identity of a saddle chassis of mine with the help of @lgrinnings I'm down to distinguishing between the ca. 1914 - 1915 model Mesinger saddles.

The distinct 'center compression' arrangement of this era of Mesinger is distinct in a number of ways. The support for the base of the spring is distinct as well as the use of a sleeve and leather washer which is meant to prevent metal to metal contact within the springs.
I have dug up some literature that I thought would be appreciated here.
Both the bicycle and motorcycle Mesinger saddles of this period utilize the same tech as shown.

1915 Mesinger Saddle Lineup.jpg

1914 Mesinger Sleved Spring Article.jpg

1915 Mesinger Motorcycle Saddle.png

Back