When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle Development 1900s to 1940s Patents and Ads

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
True enough @rustNspokes !

Brooks site says John Boultbee Brooks' horse died and he bought a bike to ride instead. The bike saddle was so painful that he vowed to make a more comfortable one.

He was a prolific inventor! There are 111 results in Google patents for him.
1582600981217.png

1582599391370.png

From their site Brooks

Most excellent review of bicycle saddle designs from the early 19th century into the 50's MIq!
This Persons below has a neat nose spring coil design with three different solutions to the rear design of the seat. I am sure heavy.
I like it though as it is very moto. The Design in Fig 2. would have sported a total of 7 springs on the seat!

View attachment 1145185

Thanks @SKPC ! I love this design too. Almost every bolt hole is a slot that could be adjusted. :p This thing would have been a nightmare to dial in, but once you did...

How can you beat the comfort of blocky, rough, crocodile scales? The enviable owners, and their families, may never give them up. You will have to be patient and lucky.

Back