When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle/grip color ID

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi folks,

This rolled in the shop yesterday.

Trying to determine the color and model(s) of Schwinns these tan grips and saddle might indicate.

Bicycle serial # is J465903 on left rear dropout which I believe indicates frame production 1 Sept 1959.

The bike is mostly vintage, missing some parts, repainted in places or all over, other parts are incorrect. Could be a frankenbike...I am in the midst of narrowing down possible models.

Thanks for any help!

20171118_093129.jpg

The parts you are talking about (grips etc.) would not thave come on a black bike. There are so many wrong mixed part that you could paint it whatever color you wanted. Grips and seat indicate Coppertone to me but those showed up in the mid 1960s. The model closest was probably one of the Jaguar series. Roger

Serial number is actually for a '64 model, date showing as 9/16. Bike is all over the place. A lot of the painted parts appear to have been assembled when painted.
Roger is probably dead on with the Jaguar thought.

This one is a '61 - I'm sure someone has a good shot of a '64
61 F18 Jaguar.jpg

REC

Last edited:
The parts you are talking about (grips etc.) would not thave come on a black bike. There are so many wrong mixed part that you could paint it whatever color you wanted. Grips and seat indicate Coppertone to me but those showed up in the mid 1960s. The model closest was probably one of the Jaguar series. Roger
Yes - I know they are incorrect for a black bike, trying to sort things out for the owner. Thank you for your help!

Serial number is actually for a '64 model, date showing as 9/16. Bike is all over the place. A lot of the painted parts appear to have been assembled when painted.
Roger is probably dead on the Jaguar thought.

This one is a '61 - I'm sure someone has a good shot of a '64
View attachment 710986

REC
Thank you for the correct date and photo - no doubt you are correct - I am still having issues with the date code chart in the sticky threads on certain serial numbersas it looked like that number could have fallen in that Sept '59 range.

Having a secure date helps a lot. Yeah, I know the bike has been monkeyed with but he did very well for what he paid for it - just trying to see what is what and go from there.

The seat is a 1963 and later issue Coppertone and the grips to me look like the white ones that have been severely weathered in the Arizona sun. May be coppertone but can't say from the picture, but the Coppertone grips were not a solid color. If the top bar has two tabs on the bottom to hang a tank, the bike was probably a Jaguar. Jag fenders will be stainless with two holes for the tear drop S reflector.

The serial number system changed in 1958 with the letter indicating the month and the first number indicating the year. J9XXXXX is 59 and J4 is Sept 64. The letter I was not used since it could be mistaken for the number 1.

1964dlr_Jaguar.jpg

The seat is a 1963 and later issue Coppertone and the grips to me look like the white ones that have been severely weathered in the Arizona sun. May be coppertone but can't say from the picture, but the Coppertone grips were not a solid color. If the top bar has two tabs on the bottom to hang a tank, the bike was probably a Jaguar. Jag fenders will be stainless with two holes for the tear drop S reflector.

The serial number system changed in 1958 with the letter indicating the month and the first number indicating the year. J9XXXXX is 59 and J4 is Sept 64. The letter I was not used since it could be mistaken for the number 1.

View attachment 711133
That was excellent info - thanks so much!

The rear fender has ghost marks for a Jag type reflector. As far as I can tell without cleaning, the grips are one color. If the owner says clean it, I will take off the tank, pull the crank, etc and start checking date numbers and looking for traces of original paint.

View attachment 711133
Just curious as to why you state the seat is a '63? It looks like the same color saddle on the Coppertone Jag pictured in the '64 catalog and it also has a crash rail.

Hoping the owner will let me clean it up a bit and then I can get the tank and crank out and go from there..

Back