When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saddle Post i.d.

-

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Does anyone recognize this saddle post and adjuster nut, fastened to a Brown saddle? What bicycle does it go on?

6F0BB72C-EB24-448D-82BE-4CEC869F19F8.jpeg

C2D514DC-4F41-4E06-864A-94509E12EEE5.jpeg

1899 Columbia's and Victors both used those binders. Victor used that "post forward" design. Better views would be helpful. I have both in my possession to compare. Looks like there's a shim that doesn't belong on yours.

Upon closer inspection of my Victor and Columbia post binders..... it's neither. Columbia used a V type wedge for expansion, no splits. Victor had two diametrically opposite splits. Yours looks like it could have three, maybe four splits, can't tell for sure from photo.

Seat post expander could be from an independent maker not a specific bicycle manufacturer. Here are some from September and October 1898 issues of Cycle Age & Trade Review:

Upon closer inspection of my Victor and Columbia post binders..... it's neither. Columbia used a V type wedge for expansion, no splits. Victor had two diametrically opposite splits. Yours looks like it could have three, maybe four splits, can't tell for sure from photo.
I will take more photos and post them, today.
Thanks!

It is interesting that these collet style seat-post binders were around so early. Great reference materials above. Hawthorne with their version in 1937(I believe one year) that accepted only a 5/8" post came and went quickly and perhaps the last bike using one? It may have been abandoned over time because of higher costs? It seems the better mousetrap than a pinch bolt through a slotted seat tube as it was much stronger and eliminated the structural forces delivered by a rider loading this area/junction of the frame. What is the OD of your collet @GiovanniLiCalsi ??

Back