eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

mrkmcdonnell

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apr 3, 2013
New Jersey, United States
1899 Columbia's and Victors both used those binders. Victor used that "post forward" design. Better views would be helpful. I have both in my possession to compare. Looks like there's a shim that doesn't belong on yours.

mrkmcdonnell

Apr 3, 2013
Upon closer inspection of my Victor and Columbia post binders..... it's neither. Columbia used a V type wedge for expansion, no splits. Victor had two diametrically opposite splits. Yours looks like it could have three, maybe four splits, can't tell for sure from photo.

Blue Streak

Nov 4, 2015
Erie PA
Seat post expander could be from an independent maker not a specific bicycle manufacturer. Here are some from September and October 1898 issues of Cycle Age & Trade Review:

GiovanniLiCalsi

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 29, 2012
Alameda, California
Upon closer inspection of my Victor and Columbia post binders..... it's neither. Columbia used a V type wedge for expansion, no splits. Victor had two diametrically opposite splits. Yours looks like it could have three, maybe four splits, can't tell for sure from photo.
I will take more photos and post them, today.
Thanks!

Blue Streak

Nov 4, 2015
Erie PA
Independent Supply Co. info from May 25, 1899 issue of The Wheel:

SKPC

I live for the CABE
Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
It is interesting that these collet style seat-post binders were around so early. Great reference materials above. Hawthorne with their version in 1937(I believe one year) that accepted only a 5/8" post came and went quickly and perhaps the last bike using one? It may have been abandoned over time because of higher costs? It seems the better mousetrap than a pinch bolt through a slotted seat tube as it was much stronger and eliminated the structural forces delivered by a rider loading this area/junction of the frame. What is the OD of your collet @GiovanniLiCalsi ??

Reactions: bricycle
This ad goes away when you register for an account!

GiovanniLiCalsi

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 29, 2012
Alameda, California
It is interesting that these collet style seat-post binders were around so early. Great reference materials above. Hawthorne with their version in 1937(I believe one year) that accepted only a 5/8" post came and went quickly and perhaps the last bike using one? It may have been abandoned over time because of higher costs? It seems the better mousetrap than a pinch bolt through a slotted seat tube as it was much stronger and eliminated the structural forces delivered by a rider loading this area/junction of the frame. What is the OD of your collet @GiovanniLiCalsi ??
I will need to find my calipers

GiovanniLiCalsi

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jun 29, 2012
Alameda, California
The expansion sleeve is 1-5/64”
The seat post is 13/16”
The oust side of the nut is 1-5/16”
The saddle clamp part of the seat post is 5/8”

mrkmcdonnell

Apr 3, 2013
The expansion sleeve is 1-5/64”
The seat post is 13/16”
The oust side of the nut is 1-5/16”
The saddle clamp part of the seat post is 5/8”
I'd be interested in the post if it's up for grabs. Buy or trade.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!