When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Salvaging part of original paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Thrillhouse

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi there - during rust removal some paint came off on the left side of this tank. I’m most concerned with saving the logo on the left and JCH swoosh across the middle. Would anyone have advice on how to salvage this? I’m a noob and should have been more careful during the removal - lesson learned!

IMG_3863.jpeg

Yes it was.
You'll want to treat that exposed metal with something or it is going to poo poo on you before long. This happened to me on a painted set of rims a couple years ago after a soak in that evapo rust stuff- white with pins. Total paint loss where the rust was and followed by some flaking in the immediate surrounding area. I gave it a light boiled linseed oil treatment afterwards and was very please with the result. There are different methods of doing this depending on if you want it to come out shiny or more of a satin finish. It held up good for me for the year I had it after until I sold that bike.
This is the only thing I've ever tried. (There are strict rules you must follow when doing this, I’d be happy to share if you’re interested)
I hope others chime in with their other suggestions and methods.

Last edited:
Back