When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Francisco Bay Area Craigslist Schwinn pricing !!!

-
It’s asking prices, big difference between and actual selling prices. Then you have the NW with this type of middle weight quality and can’t get more than a 150- for it on a good day. You do have high optimism suggested pricing here also, but the Bay area, crazy.

Most younger generations I feel they invest in experiences and not in material collecting. So I feel a lot of bikes are not worth anything anymore unless rare to the masses. Just because these lesser bikes are less findable doesn’t mean there worth money, means most do not have interest in them and are disappearing in a less desirable.

The market has changed. Middleweight I feel has already past its peak. Now it’s BMX and muscle bike. My theory, it’s generational mostly, BMX, Stingray are mostly the gen who grow up with those bikes that are now in their 50-60s. Again mostly are.

The market has changed. Middleweight I feel has already past its peak. Now it’s BMX and muscle bike. My theory, it’s generational mostly, BMX, Stingray are mostly the gen who grow up with those bikes that are now in their 50-60s. Again mostly are.
I missed the BMX craze, we put knobbies on out stingrays with a 10 speed seat. they even have one like that at the Marin Bicycle Museum. I have a buddy 10 years younger than me that spent a fortune building a BMX bike like what he had when he was a kid. it surprised me that people were doing that sort of thing

I missed the BMX craze, we put knobbies on out stingrays with a 10 speed seat. they even have one like that at the Marin Bicycle Museum. I have a buddy 10 years younger than me that spent a fortune building a BMX bike like what he had when he was a kid. it surprised me that people were doing that sort of thing
One of my very first BMX bikes were Mongoose nickel plate new in 3rd grade for a Christmas, the best Xmas present I ever had and hand me down DG, also had many others in the late 70s and early 80s. They do not do it for me now, but dang, if I had them FS in this current BMX craze market, I would definitely take advantage. I will see if I can track a photo with me on that Mongoose, I believe also wearing a Star Wars belt buckle as well.

Long Driveway guy Lowkey motors... believe it or not...sells Breezes for 1K range ...
not like hot cakes...but there is a market in the uber rich surrounds of that area..
he builds some pretty cool klunkers too and is in tight with the og Mt Tam bomber crew...
He is also thoroughly meticulous on his 'refurbs'....

But indeed...most CL listings I see are comedy these days...especially in high rent zones like SF

Lowkey does this absolutely wild thing that I think we should all keep in mind: actually building strong wheels. I can’t tell the number of vintage wheelsets that I’ve used that had almost no spoke tension let alone see actually true. So if you add labor, wheel rebuilds, paint/clear coat, and the location his prices make sense. They don’t make sense for the Midwest however

Late to the thread, but I've lived here in the south Bay Area for my entire 65 years. I remember seeing the "driveway" listings many years ago... possibly before the Cabe forums existed (or at least this iteration that began in what... 2006?). I remember a Cabe website before that, but without forums (?). And Craigslist began in the latter 90's I think. Anyway, to each their own I guess. I think of myself as sort of a "purist" who likes things original for the most part, and seeing 50's and 60's middleweights stripped of original parts and made into "bombers" and "klunkers" leaves me a bit cold. And since VERY few nice original and mostly complete specimens turn up around here (part of the reason for the high prices, no doubt), seeing modified and parted out bikes is all the more demoralizing to someone like me. Lowkey offers a hell of a lot of bikes, but they don't turn over very quickly (at least not the ones on CL). Occasionally they offer a mid-century middleweight that is basically unmolested, but they tend to be the lower grade, less deluxe models. Maybe he keeps the "good stuff"? I have no idea, but as someone said above, if he's succeeding at doing it his way, more power to him. I'm just a complainer. 🙃

Naturally, just as I go on this rant, a 1950's Corvette turns up on CL locally... for only $600 (yes, that's cheap for this area). Of course, I'm no expert (and the photos are limited in quality and quantity), so I don't know if this is a totally legit example: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/d/san-jose-schwinn-corvette-1950s-cruiser/7335021709.html

here is a link to Schwinn's on Craigslist in the Bay Area. prices are out of control here, I wish they had a way so we could see what actually sold.

the one guy with all the bikes in the same long driveway must be selling them as they go away after a while.

Stupid prices are not limited to California Craigslist, it is also prevalent on Ebay with listings for Cruisers! There are also some stupid pricing for bikes on some the FB groups!

Here is a great example of that on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/184847976791?campid=5335809022

And you can find a few in this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/431816150361428

Late to the thread, but I've lived here in the south Bay Area for my entire 65 years. I remember seeing the "driveway" listings many years ago... possibly before the Cabe forums existed (or at least this iteration that began in what... 2006?). I remember a Cabe website before that, but without forums (?). And Craigslist began in the latter 90's I think. Anyway, to each their own I guess. I think of myself as sort of a "purist" who likes things original for the most part, and seeing 50's and 60's middleweights stripped of original parts and made into "bombers" and "klunkers" leaves me a bit cold. And since VERY few nice original and mostly complete specimens turn up around here (part of the reason for the high prices, no doubt), seeing modified and parted out bikes is all the more demoralizing to someone like me. Lowkey offers a hell of a lot of bikes, but they don't turn over very quickly (at least not the ones on CL). Occasionally they offer a mid-century middleweight that is basically unmolested, but they tend to be the lower grade, less deluxe models. Maybe he keeps the "good stuff"? I have no idea, but as someone said above, if he's succeeding at doing it his way, more power to him. I'm just a complainer. 🙃

Naturally, just as I go on this rant, a 1950's Corvette turns up on CL locally... for only $600 (yes, that's cheap for this area). Of course, I'm no expert (and the photos are limited in quality and quantity), so I don't know if this is a totally legit example: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/d/san-jose-schwinn-corvette-1950s-cruiser/7335021709.html

That CL 50's Corvette has me stumped. It's a 1958 or older model but it has the new 1959 tear drop S reflector and the chrome fender braces didn't come about until 1962. The 1959 models had a cantilever frame change and from experience the rear fenders are not interchangeable with the earlier models. There are some non original parts on that Corvette, but for the most part it looks correct.

Back