When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Santa Barbara weekend.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-----

Thanks so much for sharing this outstanding trip report!

Great job with the pictures.

Recall a bicycle shop on State Street which specializes in vintage.

Cannot recollect the name, it is on the west side of the street.

Visited once but was there on a "wrong day"; has limited hours and was open only
four days per week.

There is a bicycle themed coffee house on De La Vina St. called The Handlebar. They roast their own coffee on the premises.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=handlebar+coffee+roasters,+santa+barbara+california&t=hs&va=l&ia=places

Thanks again for the terrific report!

Mrs. cyclingday had a marvelous idea; hope you have remembered to let her know. 😉

-----

Last edited:
Love the Giant folding bikes... It's always fun to ride the old bikes, but for just get up and go stuff, it is always good to have nice solid riding (and easily transportable) bikes to get around on. Our Trek folding bikes fit into older samsonite hard shell suitcases and we used to take ours to Maui every time we went there (before the airlines started charging so much for luggage). Looks like you two had a great time in Santa Barbara, I love that place. Both of my boys graduated from UCSB and I have no idea how they got any studying done down there!

-----

Thanks so much for sharing this outstanding trip report!

Great job with the pictures.

Recall a bicycle shop on State Street which specializes in vintage.

Cannot recollect the name, it is on the west side of the street.

Visited once but was there on a "wrong day"; has limited hours and was open only
four days per week.

There is a bicycle themed coffee house on De La Vina St. called The Handlebar. They roast their own coffee on the premises.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=handlebar+coffee+roasters,+santa+barbara+california&t=hs&va=l&ia=places

Thanks again for the terrific report!

Mrs. cyclingday had a marvelous idea; hope you have remembered to let her know. 😉

-----
I just happened to be sitting in,
The Handlebar when I saw this post.
Enjoying a cool cup of Iced Tea today, but the freshly roasted coffee does smell really good.

Nice Eddy Merckx hanging on the wall.
It looks like they’ve got a good start on a nice bicycle racing themed coffee house.

I spotted this old photo in an antique store.
By the palm tree in the background, I’d say, cycling has been an important part of Santa Barbara life since the beginning.
Hard to tell what brand of bike that is, but it looks Westfield to me.
Maybe an Indian?

-----

😁

a favourite cycling road for Santa Barbara area ciclisti is called Gibraltar so The Handlebar decided to name their espresso coffee blend after this route

it someone orders an espresso drink it is made with "Gib"

btw -

had to visit on three occasions before able to actually experience The Handlebar

visit one: arrived too late, staff and customers inside but business closed for the day

visit two: arrived too early, staff inside working but business not yet open for the day

visit three: finally hit it during hours, after learning them on previous visits, and was able to have a coffee

-----

Last edited:
Last but certainly not least, was taking in the Sunday Mass, at the Mission, Santa Barbara.

I’m not Catholic, or particularly religious, but it seemed like an interesting thing to do.
The abundant bloom in the Rose garden, is a gloriously religious experience, if nothing else.

The Mission is a jewel among the many here in Old Spanish California.

The Double Delight is a magnificent Rose.
You can’t go wrong with one of these in your garden.

Nice job on the restoration here.

View of the skyline from the steps of the old stone church.

Neat old road sign.

On a tip from Julia Child, & @onecatahula, Pete, we had a fabulous lunch at, La Super Rica.

The Especial, and the Chile Relleno were phenomenal!

Everything is fresh and done old school.

They say, the best barometer of any Mexican restaurant, is how they do the Chile Relleno.
So I usually start there first when trying a new place.
This one was most certainly different, and unlike any I’ve ever had anywhere else.
The Relleno was fairly typical, but it was the cream sauce they poured over it, that made it so unique and absolutely delicious.
Julia Child, was not wrong, when she gave this place the thumbs up many years ago.
Neither was Onecatahula.
Thanks, Pete!
La Super-Rica was a tasty way to bid farewell to our Santa Barbara weekend.
I’m already looking forward to the next visit.

Last edited:
Back