When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saving flaking paint

-

MrAustralia

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hi team CABE,

What's the best way (if there is a way) to preserve original but flakey paint?

I scored a brilliant original paint Hawthorne/rollfast banana tank with tons of patina and character, in exactly the same color as my bike, but the paint is really fragile.......

I know clear coating it is taboo, but what's the best way to preserve it??

Photos of the tank attached for reference. Any assistance appreciated!

Cheers

MrA

IMG_9085.JPG

IMG_9086.JPG

IMG_9087.JPG

IMG_9088.JPG

I have a 1953 Varsity which the paint was all like that. Basically just to preserve the bike and its decals I removed the mechanical parts and clear coated what was left. That was 5 or 6 years ago and it hasn't degraded anymore. Roger

IMG_9835.jpg

IMG_9836.jpg

IMG_9839.jpg

Cool tank! If you want it to stay looking like it is, I would just apply Linseed oil on it. Do a total of 3 coats, dry time 15 minutes each, wipe down very well, and reapply, etc. That would seal it, protect it and this level of patina.

I have had a number of great results using boiled linseed oil to stabilize old flaking paint. Use care when applying it over the really rough spots. On these areas I have use a very soft blunt brush...go kind of heavy... and dab it on, so I don't disturb the worst of flaking spots. It seems to self level and stick the paint flakes back down. Good luck.

I agree with the sentiments above.
This 1940 Dayton Mainliner has the same condition paint, and to preserve its originality I too applied a generous coat of oil to the paint.
It seemed to re moisturize the paint and has stabilized the situation.
At first it looks too greasy, but that soon evaporates, and leaves the paint looking about as good as it can given the circumstances surrounding its age.
A much better solution than clear coating, which to me is just the first step in what will eventually be a re paint.
Besides, if it's made it this far, it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
It'll make it another 80 years without too much trouble.
image.jpeg

Add one more to the linseed oil club. Only thing I'd do different is spray it on verses wiping it on. A couple coats with the first one a light sealing coat. That paint looks VERY fragile so spraying won't disturb any of the remaining paint "particles". lol

Vid that somewhat shows the process.

Looks great, any follow up photos? I've been thinking of doing this on the underside of the mudguards on my teens Pierce to protect them from water thrown up by the tires. I see on the label your product is a 50-50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine.
I spent a lot of time in the 80s working on wooden schooners and sailing ships as old as 1886. What we called "Riggers Slush" was used on wooden spars, decks and masts where you wanted a finish that was not a high gloss varnish and really soaked into the wood. The slush was a rough blend of 60% linseed oil, 30% turpentine and 10% spar varnish. More turps would speed up the drying time. We'd apply it with a brush for heavy coats or make a "pounce" of a piece of fabric wadded up inside another piece. You could dip it in and use it as a applicator on smoother surfaces.

Great project,
Gary

Back