When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam with Zelle?

-
Definitely follows the scam process.. I'd pass on selling it.

There are newbie scammers popping up by the thousands everyday. And some are really stupid! I'd go thru with the deal and take the 2500 + if they send the $'s into my Zelle account. No way can they get it back. Then hold the seat until you feel comfortable with shipping it. Who needs a seat that bad and fast? All this looks like a dumb newbie scammer and I doubt he has $2500 to send.

Ahhhh no too much risk..rushing for a sale purchase and paying extra is a big no no.. you'll be Sorry..☢️☢️☢️☢️

For those of you who use Zelle, I just had a similar experience to the original poster, with my friend. Selling a horse saddle, the buyer sent more $ than the price of the saddle plus ground shipping quote. Friend (Seller) got e-mail from Zelle that she was required to ship saddle overnight, which is about $500 more than quoted for ground shipping, and provide confirmation of shipment with tracking number by e-mail to Zelle. The whole thing was “pending” by Zelle and did not show up in my friend’s Zelle account as “pending” or otherwise. Seller sent text to Buyer not agreeing to the terms, cancelled her Zelle account and deleted the app. Friend’s Zelle account is brand new, and her bank is not participating, so everything is connected to her debit card, which would actually delay things a day or so even after the shipping confirmation goes through Zelle. So, I’m thinking that the scam is about the refund to the Buyer after the terms are refused while the $ is “pending”. If my friend was talked into refunding the money, or “talked through” how to do it, the real money would come out of her account to the Buyer’s Zelle account, and then without confirmation of shipping the original transaction would bounce back to the Buyer (because it is hung up both from the debit card and the shipping confirmation) after 14 days. We think she dodged a bullet by not acting on the shipping and by removing her account, since Zelle has a default of returning funds if the recipient has no Zelle account registered. Thoughts?

Last week I had a second person on FB try to buy the saddle and want to pay using Zelle.

The first person trying to buy the saddle was English and had an aristocratic, fox hunting, horse vibe profile but not a huge numbers of friends. Kind of easy to set up a fake profile and run with that image. Getting "friends" on Facebook as easy as shooting carp in a barrel. His name comes up as an English postman when doing a general internet search; am not sure how many English postmen are showing $250,000+ horses? Interestingly, the postman doesn't have a profile on FB and the name is a bit unique.

The person last week had a very similar FB page but with a redneck vibe, gritty vibe, again not many friends. I Googled his name and it came up as an MD in Tennessee but this guy was clearly not him. His partner name came up as a nurse from California, but again not the same person when comparing pictures. Interestingly both the buyer and his partner/wife had very unique names; when you did an internet search it brought you to these other two professional folks internet footprints but no FB profiles for the actual medical professionals. I would image other sellers performing a secondary search on this guy may say, well he is a doctor, this must be legit. After this I said to the Arkansas guy that I have a friend that lives one town away. I offered to ship the saddle to the said friend so the buyer could come by and inspect it in person and pay with cash; after that I did not hear anything back from Wally.

I gut feeling is this is a sophisticated scammer group who sets up false FB profiles using real people's names who are not FB users. Likely the situation similar @SMB described is what is occurring.

Beware and be safe out there folks!

For those of you who use Zelle, I just had a similar experience to the original poster, with my friend. Selling a horse saddle, the buyer sent more $ than the price of the saddle plus ground shipping quote. Friend (Seller) got e-mail from Zelle that she was required to ship saddle overnight, which is about $500 more than quoted for ground shipping, and provide confirmation of shipment with tracking number by e-mail to Zelle. The whole thing was “pending” by Zelle and did not show up in my friend’s Zelle account as “pending” or otherwise. Seller sent text to Buyer not agreeing to the terms, cancelled her Zelle account and deleted the app. Friend’s Zelle account is brand new, and her bank is not participating, so everything is connected to her debit card, which would actually delay things a day or so even after the shipping confirmation goes through Zelle. So, I’m thinking that the scam is about the refund to the Buyer after the terms are refused while the $ is “pending”. If my friend was talked into refunding the money, or “talked through” how to do it, the real money would come out of her account to the Buyer’s Zelle account, and then without confirmation of shipping the original transaction would bounce back to the Buyer (because it is hung up both from the debit card and the shipping confirmation) after 14 days. We think she dodged a bullet by not acting on the shipping and by removing her account, since Zelle has a default of returning funds if the recipient has no Zelle account registered. Thoughts?
I'm going to call BS on this one, sorry.

I'm going to call BS on this one, sorry.
It’s not BS - I’m flabbergasted that it showed up as “pending” also. (Not at all what my banker told us to expect, nor what Zelle’s own info says will happen.) But there it is. We were wondering if it was a phishing scam and the e-mail was actually not from Zelle but that’s a pretty sophisticated scam, outside of Zelle’s app. I’ve been trying to find out if Zelle handles accounts launched from debit card enrollments differently than those tied directly to a bank account, but can’t find anything discussing that option. It makes sense that there would be a less-instant transaction if not connected to a bank account directly but I can’t find any confirmation of that theory. Neither her bank (nor my bank, which we tried to test transactions with) are supporting Zelle at the moment so we had to make accounts with debit cards instead of through our banking Zelle apps.

It’s not BS - I’m flabbergasted that it showed up as “pending” also. (Not at all what my banker told us to expect, nor what Zelle’s own info says will happen.) But there it is. We were wondering if it was a phishing scam and the e-mail was actually not from Zelle but that’s a pretty sophisticated scam, outside of Zelle’s app. I’ve been trying to find out if Zelle handles accounts launched from debit card enrollments differently than those tied directly to a bank account, but can’t find anything discussing that option. It makes sense that there would be a less-instant transaction if not connected to a bank account directly but I can’t find any confirmation of that theory. Neither her bank (nor my bank, which we tried to test transactions with) are supporting Zelle at the moment so we had to make accounts with debit cards instead of through our banking Zelle apps.
Zelle will not contact you and tell you to ship, that's not what Zelle is. How would they know what the money was for? I think you were a victim of a Phishing scam. Go read my post #8 and it gives info about Zelle... Here's Zelle's own site.. where it says only use for close friends....
There is also a scam similar using Wallmart money orders. It sounds exactly what you say happened to your friend.
Just sayin..... 😎 🤔

Zelle will not contact you and tell you to ship, that's not what Zelle is. How would they know what the money was for? I think you were a victim of a Phishing scam. Go read my post #8 and it gives info about Zelle... Here's Zelle's own site.. where it says only use for close friends....
There is also a scam similar using Wallmart money orders. It sounds exactly what you say happened to your friend.
Just sayin..... 😎 🤔
I don't profess to know how this scam works but with both individuals my gut was saying something was off. I forgot to mention a detail, with both, the said in their messages: "you can trust I will pay you." How many times have you said that when trying to buy something?
I also told both I accept Paypal, Venmo, certified checks, money orders, and credit cards; cash in person for the last guy. Both only wanted to pay with Zelle 🧐

I'd love to see the email you said came from Zelle....
I have an old email account that was sold on the dark web, Lifelock found it... I was getting 100's of phishing emails a day.
I got another email, but kept the old one. I still get scam email, but it's down to about 50 a week. Some are quite entertaining to say the least and I save those.
Here's an official looking one from Costco.... seems legit🤓 except for the OG email address......

If you hover my mouse over the OK button, it shows a HTTP web address, and if you hover over the "here" area to remove yourself from the list, it shows that same address. Maybe I should click on those to be sure.😎

My favorite ones are the ones from Africa..I have 1000's of these. Get ready, I'm about to come into some real money and I will be buying up all the cool bikes. 😉

Be careful folks, they are out there trying to separate you from your money.....

Back