When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scammer Alert

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I brought 13 bikes to a big auto swapmeet, 2 kids in their 20s came up Thur. and wanted to rent 2 bikes to ride around all weekend, I said if I rent them I won't have a chance to sell them. They said OK what are your two cheapest bikes, I said the 70s Reliegh girls and a 90s girls Westport at $75 each (both real nice bikes) but not my cup of tea. They beat me down to $35 each, I aired up 1 tire and off they went. I watched them ride all over that swapmeet for two days. Sat. eve. I'm loading to leave and here they come, they ride up and say they want their money back, they don't like em, their parents won't let them keep em, they have no way to get them home, etc. I said if I had rented them the bikes they wouldn't have gotten their money back anyways. They got Sh#@ty with me and I felt like I was getting played, I said you bought em, you own em, ride em home. Even face to face deals can go bad. I still only like face to face deals. Just be a good judge of who your dealing with.

I'm not going to comment on this particular transaction, but I will say that you could classify payments into the categories of "mainstream", "grey", and "red flag".

The Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart thing was a red flag. The online sales industry has developed enough that there are a few choices of methods for paying online. You can still get scammed. Paypal, Square, Venmo, etc. offer a couple different choices to buyers and sellers. None are a guaranty against a scam, but when someone is insisting on an irregular payment method, it should put the brakes on the transaction. If you offer a mainstream payment method to an unfamiliar person and they balk, then do some more research on the person's posting history and whether they are established in the hobby. Even if it's not a scam, you may be dealing witha problematic seller.

Then there are "grey" area type payments. There certainly are legitimate sellers who ask for a USPS Money Order, or similar still, but doing a little research should turn them up as long-time sellers. Only send a USPS Money Order or personal check to someone you're familiar with as being well-established in the hobby. Some of the old school sellers still gravitate to these types of payments, but it's important to know who you're dealing with in those cases. Don't send these types of payments to an unfamiliar person. Try also to avoid sellers who insist on "grey" payments because they, "don't want a 1099" or "it's none of the government's business". You pay your taxes, they should pay theirs.

But a real red flag is if someone is asking for an instant wire transfer, bank-to-bank, store-to-store, etc. pull the brake lever and get some context on the person because those are the most suspect forms requested. These payments are a problem because the person can simply empty the money and walk away. If the person is insisting on these methods and you're unfamiliar with that person, it may be best to take a pass.

Just to put it out there if you go to the post office and tell them you need a postal money order it only cost a dollar or two then on the money order you can fill out the persons name and address that you are sending the money to they have to have an ID with that name and address to be able to cash the money order at the post office

So $75 was added for shipping the bike for a total of $300. The seller has totally flaked out on this deal.

Quote:
Chris Marceau here unfortunately you are a liar you have threaten me you have said your wife is a district attorney who in their right mind would sell you that bicycle and ship it for 300 I could screenshot all the swearwords 3 o’clock in the morning 4 o’clock in the morning you need to go lay down by your dish I have the bicycle at sitting in my garage I simply told you pay the shipping you have done nothing but became a complete blank it E blank blank I have an excellent reputation

The guy is a complete liar shut yourself down two sides to every story who in their right mind would sell him that beautiful bike and ship it for $300 are you serious I have 6000 bikes I’ve sold he’s the first silly head I’ve ever run across, And he’s kicked off of several sites I’ve noticed

Because he’s been playing me back-and-forth for over a month I could’ve sold the bike six times He’s trying to get free shipping. And he said he has somebody coming to pick it up

1626916058982.png

Back