When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schneider Special-new To Me

-
Arthur A. Schneider

Pg. 403-404 - Arthur A. Schneider, proprietor of a bicycle establishment at 216 Bond Avenue, N.W., Grand Rapids, was born in Detroit, Michigan, May 23, 1892, a son of Fritz Schneider. He was educated in the public schools of Detroit and Grand Rapids. He has spent many years working for various bicycle companies, learning the manufacture and expert repairing of bicycles under the masters of the trade. In March 1920, he established the bicycle shop of which he is not proprietor. He has developed his business to a point where it is the largest of its kind in the city of Grand Rapids. He not only sells new bicycles, but also reconditions bicycles for re-sale. His specialty is the Schneider Special Built Racing bicycle, which is manufactured on a plan designed by himself. He also carries all kinds of accessories for bicycles. He ranks high in this field, having been a member of the six-day bicycle racing squad for a number of years. He is the Michigan state representative of the American Bicycle League and is also an officer of the Western Michigan Bicycle Club. He has build up a large trade in Grand Rapids and the vicinity, and his achievement in making his shop the largest in point of trade in the city, has stamped him as an able businessman and executive. On February 7, 1925, he married Miss Josephine Wood, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wood, of Grand Rapids, the former of whom is deceased. The raising of pedigreed rabbits has become the hobby of Mr. Schneider, and entries of his have captured prizes in Kent County and Michigan State fairs. Mr. Schneider is a member of the Loyal Order of Moose.

http://kent.migenweb.net/white1924/personal/schneideraa.html

6f411aadc0c1faf1a36789a3b5d2a45f.jpg

Thats awesome Jeff THANK YOU MAN!!! That correlates well to the story the original owner told me through his full beard and obvious experience in living. I think I will keep this now that I have some confirmation on its pedigree and the great local story to go along with it! Much appreciated man, very cool

Last edited:
Thats awesome Jeff THANK YOU MAN!!! That correlates well to the story the original owner told me through his full beard and obvious experience in living. I think I will keep this now that I have some confirmation on its pedigree and the great local story to go along with it! Much appreciated man, very cool

I'd keep in mind though,Your bike is definitely not a racing bike so, note inside that translation or transcribed: "He not only sells new bicycles, but also reconditions bicycles for re-sale. His specialty is the Schneider Special Built Racing bicycle, which is manufactured on a plan designed by himself."

That indicates he built racing bikes and so, most other bikes with his badge are not likely Schneider's own builds. Could be reconditioned, new bikes with his badge and or you name it. . . Heck on that note, even if you had a racing bike with his badge, who knows who made it too?

Perhaps he filed for a patent or patent design on a frame though. [wink]

Back