When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schNinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have an early cantilever brake that has the "Schninn" script on both calipers. I, too, had always been under the impression that it was prewar and this was a 1930's cursive style...

Prewar... Most deff... 40 41.. Maybe 46 47

The piece in my photo was from a 1948 Mead Ranger. I think they used a lot of old inventory on the model(s) I have, which includes an (inferred) 1947 ladies' version. Very similar to the New Worlds of the era.

Love the video Ranger Dan, THANKS for posting!!!!!!!!!

My pleasure, Gary; so glad you enjoyed it. I can't wait to see the feature itself.

Hey Ranger Dan

Hey Ranger Dan,

That video is not only very cool, it is my life!. I have been a sign artist for over 42 years, and I am now 58 years old
and still creating and painting my signs and murals BY HAND, not vinyl. What the one guy was saying about the feel of the paint & brush is so true.
I can even tell the different colors of One Shot with my eyes closed., and I have endless ideas that could never be produced in vinyl.
I really appreciate you posting the video.

Thanks, Wayne

I can even tell the different colors of One Shot with my eyes closed.,

You mean just by the consistency of it? Say, that's touch!

Hey Ranger Dan,
I really appreciate you posting the video.

My pleasure, Wayne. I knew there'd be some fellas here who would like it. I hope the film gets good distribution, but short of seeing it on a big screen, it'll probably make it to Netflix.

Ranger Dan

Hey Ranger...I meant that I can tell the different colors with my eyes closed by the smell.
The different color pigments ( many derived from natural elements) have their own separate smell.
I think that red smells the best. Yea, I know, you are all thinking by now that it is time for me to retire............Wayne

Signage restoration in Albany

Well, I'm glad you asked. After reading all that was said, my opinions are as follows...
Firstly, I would be furious as a professional artist to have some group of people tell me how
to letter or do my job. This is what I do, and have been doing for 42 years. No one could possibly
expect to dictate how I should do my job when I know it better than anyone. Having done thousands of hand painted signs and murals
over the decades, they could not possibly know the extent of my expertise. So, the other artists have every right to be angry.
As far as the "Restoration" goes...I really love to restore the old signage on the storefronts, but in this case, I would do someting that would be so very cool...
I would reletter the existing signs exactly the way they are, but instead of bright brilliant colors to make the signs appear brand new,
I would used "washed out" colors. This way, the images can be saved, they would look very crisp, but they could still have that translucent, faded, aged image.
This would be especially effective where there is lettering over even older lettering. I would then apply a flat clearcoat over the images so they could remain
that way for decades. This method I have proposed here would look awsome and would be a great way to please all parties involved.
Now, could you see some non artist committee coming up with an idea like this!.
But in this case, not only and idea, but one that could be executed by the right artist.
Wayne

As far as the "Restoration" goes...I really love to restore the old signage on the storefronts, but in this case, I would do someting that would be so very cool...
I would reletter the existing signs exactly the way they are, but instead of bright brilliant colors to make the signs appear brand new,
I would used "washed out" colors. This way, the images can be saved, they would look very crisp, but they could still have that translucent, faded, aged image.
This would be especially effective where there is lettering over even older lettering. I would then apply a flat clearcoat over the images so they could remain
that way for decades. This method I have proposed here would look awsome and would be a great way to please all parties involved.

I love your idea, Wayne, as it involves relatively little (apparent) change to the aesthetics, yet preserves the same. I wish you were more local; it would be great if you could make a proposal for this sort of plan. I'd certainly support it.

Back