When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found schwinn 1936 razor stem-early version $$$

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mr.cycleplane

Riding my Motorbike
wanted-Schwinn 1936 version razor stem. this is the early version with a 'v' in the casting in the front above the a.s. bolt. this is a true 'razor' with three crisp edges from the shaft up to the head area in the casting. original condition-not re-plated pieces. top dollar paid-willing to pay big money for the right one! $100-200! send pictures and price-thank you

Last edited:
Lot of people real particular on their razor stems. Someone should line every razor stem on an old piece of would and mount and label them for display and then we shall all know what razor stem is what .

This is very true! The subtle differences from the first(first released in 1936-ref. Fifty years of Schwinn Bicycles) to the last makes us a picky crowd. The first year they 'earn' the nick-name razor due to the crisp casting lines along the top. But manufacturing and especially in the polishing end of things it was easy to over polish and go through the plating-so they solved that by 'rounding' off the sharp edges. By 1940 they 're-shaped' it again and added 'a.s.' wedge bolts. Up to this point it is still one of the most beautifully designed goose necks and the basic design/geometry of the stem sets a new standard for safety in the bicycle industry. Postwar this goose neck is reserved in general for the higher end Schwinn models-again going through re-design/casting changes. Its a shame that many non-'1936' Schwinn stems are riding on the coat-tails of this stem's fame!

thumbnail_IMG_3143.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3150.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3149.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3145.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3144.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3146.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3148.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3147.jpg

To the non-Schwinn fanatical eye these may look the same but if you look closely you will see subtle differences in the casting I have mentioned above. There are more samples of late castings-I don't have all of them. What I am after is the type shown in picture #1...2...and 5! Many thanks to mongeese for pointing this out!

Early Razors are cool! way sharp casting etc... I think the 50 years of Schwinn book got it wrong. The page that shows that stem with
the other autocycle stuff... was a mishmash collage. Stems were never used in 36' on any of that years line. 37' was the first time
they appeared on bikes... maybe on the drawing board? in 1936 but certainly never stock on any 1936 bicycles. Good luck in your
search! I was in Dayton Ohio a year or so back and a vintage kitch/antique shop had a ladies New World on the floor... basic bike
coaster brake nothing fancy and it was a 1940 model. Had that super early razor on it. Schwinn for ya.
41' was first "AS" Wedge bolt year. All the 40's had chrome blank wedge bolts.

Never fails....make a statement-someone says back it with literature-literature produced-literature challenged! Hands on experience doesn't count either. I guess at this point its just an opinion. This happens in every hobby-one person makes a comment-and someone is there to challenge it with his 'statement'. But why does the challenger never have to produce proof of what he is saying? And when literature is supplied-its just dismissed as wrong. It is healthy to have different opinions and points of view-especially in hobbies. Experience counts too-but not to the point that everything out of ones mouth becomes the absolute fact! Back to reality-I am still looking for that early razor stem! Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Yes Bob 1937 is the first year Schwinn used these necks on their models.....like you said they may have been on the drawing board but not used on Schwinn bikes until 1937!!!!!! .....and yes 1941 was the first year for the A.S. wedge bolt!!!!!

Back