When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 20” beach cruiser ?’s

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The original head badge had been removed, frame is stamped MRxxxxx, Dec. 1980, it's an early one as the front hub is not the large flange style.

The original head badge had been removed, frame is stamped MRxxxxx, Dec. 1980, it's an early one as the front hub is not the large flange style.

Schwinn never issued the 20" Cruiser until the 82 model year. IMO, your bike is not a factory original bike, as they didn't use the small flange hubs on the Cruisers after 79, and yours has quite a few other parts that don't look original to the Cruiser model like the mag sprocket, and the top tube decal looks like it isn't original either. I would suspect it was made up from a Stingray frame?

I understand your doubt in this bicycle, some items don't appear correct but the fact is it has it's original paint, original top tube and seat mast decal, original silkscreen chain guard, it's not a made up piece. There are no other bicycles Schwinn made Sting-ray or BMX with these features.
As for the front Hub it is just like the one on my 26" 1979 Spitfire 5, Heavy Duty small flange but installed on a 20" S-2 36 hole .105 gauge spokes.
What other Schwinn 20" would have had this Front Wheel?

Last edited:
I understand your doubt in this bicycle, some items don't appear correct but the fact is it has it's original paint, original top tube and seat mast decal, original silkscreen chain guard, it's not a made up piece. There are no other bicycles Schwinn made Sting-ray or BMX with these features.
As for the front Hub it is just like the one on my 26" 1979 Spitfire 5, Heavy Duty small flange but installed on a 20" S-2 36 hole .105 gauge spokes.
What other Schwinn 20" would have had this Front Wheel?

Well it is pretty hard to tell from the single pic you posted? Post some better pics of the complete bike.

After a closer look, the frame does look like a Cruiser frame, but it looks like it has been customized with lots of non original parts to make it look like a Sting-Ray? Schwinn discontinued the use of the small flange hubs mid 79 on the Spitfires, and went to the ACS large flange late in the year. The 1980 model year was exclusively the ACS on the Cruisers, and all the 20" Cruisers I remember had the black ACS hub on the front wheels. And now thinking back to my days working at the shop, I believe the 20" Cruisers were sold in 81, even though they were not in the catalog until 82.

Here is my late model 79 Spitfire with the ACS front hub........

Last edited:
"All the minis I’ve seen look like they have longer forks off of a 24” bike "

The 24" Cruiser has a longer fork, I have one, W/ 81 fork graphics. It too has an raised for, only for 24"-er fork. 24" frame has the same size head post so, are interchangeable with 20" but, is too tall for original exchange with 20". IDK what exact year but, mid-late 70's, 1976 maybe, all of Schwinn's 20" verities except, I expect, Typhon and certain Girls models, have the longer 20" fork. Moreover, the sting-ray types got the 'Cooler' BMX style of an higher fork for 20". That's what yours has and was built with too. .

Last edited:
Just for reference...
I'm posting this 1981 SCHWINN Factory Specification Sheet of the 20" & 24" Schwinn Cruiser Bicycles.
The 1981 20" Specifications photo shows the bicycle having a coaster MAG Sprocket.
My frame has the MRxxxxxx Dec. 1980 and I found the OG headbadge with the badge #1491 making it May 29, 1981

asa.jpg

Just for reference...
I'm posting this 1981 SCHWINN Factory Specification Sheet of the 20" & 24" Schwinn Cruiser Bicycles.
The 1981 20" Specifications photo shows the bicycle having a coaster MAG Sprocket.
My frame has the MRxxxxxx Dec. 1980 and I found the OG headbadge with the badge #1491 making it May 29, 1981

View attachment 1522021
Cool thanks..yea I noticed the sprocket, so yours is correct.

I already posted it on another thread that most of you are, I’m just going into more of the details that I found while piecing this together and a side comparison to a jr stingray frame…
Frame-80’ full size stingray
Fork-77’ scrambler crown is 3 1/2”
Chain guard-80’ fair lady (full size)
Crank-80’ stingray 5 1/2”
Rims- 20” 36 spoke scrambler
Handlebars-78’ low rise (klunker/spitfire) cut and shortened
sproket-46 tooth
So that’s all you need to make a 20” cruiser haha

Back