When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn 20" tall prewar cycle truck ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
20" Cycle-Truck

Interesting.....
I can't quite make out the last digit of your serial number WildPanic, but it looks kind of like an 8, possibly a 6 - let us know.

I also have one of these, it is about 1500 numbers earlier than this one, B86458. I just put the basket on it about two weeks ago after having it sitting here 2 & 1/2 years ago. I don't have a signplate for it yet (Hint hint - pattern time!)
Here it is before basket - no photos yet with the basket. I have a set of drop centers sitting in the little shed, but they need paint and assembly.

Oh yeah... this would be late '39 or early '40, but I'd lean on late '39 based on the height of the head tube over the top bar. It is a little shorter than the normal tube on my 18" framed '39, and will not take the standard length steering tube on the fork. I looked at the one from this bike when it was lying on the table next to another one out of a '46. The '46 was longer, then compared it to the other residents and found the same thing. These are definitely interesting..

REC

Attachments

• DSC00521.jpg
    DSC00521.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
I was being sarcastic. trying to motivate some of the experts or longtimers to chime in.....

Oops; sarcasm can be tough to discern on the interweb :o

The B serial leads me to say very early postwar--from what I know, 1946 saw the alphabet start over. And since that catalog page listed a 20" in 1946, I'd lean towards that, personally.

39-40

I agree
I would say 1939-1940 early

Interesting.....
I can't quite make out the last digit of your serial number WildPanic, but it looks kind of like an 8, possibly a 6 - let us know.

I also have one of these, it is about 1500 numbers earlier than this one, B86458. I just put the basket on it about two weeks ago after having it sitting here 2 & 1/2 years ago. I don't have a signplate for it yet (Hint hint - pattern time!)
Here it is before basket - no photos yet with the basket. I have a set of drop centers sitting in the little shed, but they need paint and assembly.

Oh yeah... this would be late '39 or early '40, but I'd lean on late '39 based on the height of the head tube over the top bar. It is a little shorter than the normal tube on my 18" framed '39, and will not take the standard length steering tube on the fork. I looked at the one from this bike when it was lying on the table next to another one out of a '46. The '48 was longer, then compared it to the other residents and found the same thing. These are definitely interesting..

REC

I agree

I agree this is 39 or early 40 . No offense Jp but definitely not a 46 . From what I know about prewar Schwinns this has the look, plus in 46 schwinn switched over all there bikes to the front facing dropouts . I have a 46 Cycle truck and they look nothing alike. This bike has drop center wheel set with a morrow 1939/40 date coded hub . if it was a 46 it would of had Lobdell wheels and privably a new departure hub. I also have two prewar Schwinns they have B serial number so that really is a common letter in schwinn dating. REC do you think it's possible that these were equipped different than the regular cycle trucks? When I found this bike it had very long pull torrington's,a prewar mesinger, and a wald ashtabula chainring . Another thing is I actually pulled two out of a farm / hoarders place and its a prewar from the same market ! Red with black pinstripe lines. About 65 percent original paint remains.

Last edited by a moderator:
!

By the way the 39 catalog offers the 20" as well. There are a few of the catalogs that offer it.

My 39 DX has a serial # that starts with B, and I've seen at least 3 or 4 other 39 DXs' that also start with B.

I agree this is 39 or early 40 . No offense Jp but definitely not a 46 . From what I know about prewar Schwinns this has the look, plus in 46 schwinn switched over all there bikes to the front facing dropouts .

None taken! That's what this community is for, right? I had just thought the CT was the only model which held onto the rear facing dropouts for a year or two afterwards. As well as the drop centers through '47 like the rest of the Schwinn line.

BRILLIANT ORIG, PRE WAR CYCLE TRUCK.
IF ITS FOR SALE I WOULD BE INTERESTED.

THANKS FOR SHARING.
EMAIL. [email protected]

Matt,
That's on ebay.... been droolin' - ad stated won't ship. Arrgh!
REC

PS: I'm still missing my signplate, but finally got a basket mounted. Looks a heckuva lot better with the basket! It now has a black longspring saddle too. Need to take it outside for pictures! I think the blue one would be right at home next to it.

DSC01299 8 10.jpg

REC

Last edited:
Back